Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

"A Concise History of the Communist Party of China" (1994)

Soviet cogitations: 673
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Mar 2011, 14:10
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Komsomol
Post 06 Jun 2018, 18:58
Soviet cogitations: 758
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Jan 2008, 19:10
Komsomol
Post 07 Jun 2018, 02:59
Thanks; for a Party so proud of its revolution, I found it very hard to find FLP english books about the history of the PRC from 1949 on. For somewhat obvious reasons for the post-Mao era, but even during the Mao era, most books I find end in 1949.

So this is very interesting to me. You posted an earlier book, that covered PRC history up to 1988. The peak of Hu Yaobang liberalism. It was very self-critical of the Mao years, so it would be interesting to see the take of the Jiang Zemin 1990s.

I got a copy of "Deng Xiaoping and the GPCR" which is the closest thing to an officially published CPC FLP view of the GPCR, both a memoir and political history, by Deng's daughter, translated by Shapiro who defected to China and lived through the GPCR.

I also got a 1996 copy of "Systems Dialectics" by a Inner Mongolia leader and head of Deng Xiaoping theory. For the longest time I've wanted an english edition of a Chinese textbook on DiaMat. This is the closest thing. I've read google translate of Chinese courses on DiaMat. And its pretty similar to the standard Soviet stuff from the 1970s, ironic that Xi Jinping's China still teaches the same stuff. The basic laws and the categories. The dialectical categories are unknown outside official Eastern Bloc M-L.

Anyway "Systems Dialectics" is a long way from the standard DiaMat. Its very similar to some attempts in the USSR to suggest that cybernetics has superseded DiaMat. This book presents Systems Theory as basically the scientific presentation of dialectics, and Systems Dialectics as the higher form of DiaMat. The categories are very different from the standard model.
Kamran Heiss
Komsomol
Post 07 Jun 2018, 11:26
It isn't difficult to understand for the Mao era either considering the upheavals of the 1950s (the Gao Gang affair, the Anti-Rightist Campaign) and especially 1960s-70s (rise and fall of Lin Biao, rise and fall of the Gang of Four, rise and fall of Hua Guofeng.)

It's possible that the CPC during those years had the experience of the CPSU in mind. There was Zinoviev's history of the Bolshevik party (written in 1923), Yaroslavsky's (numerous editions from 1926 to 1937), Volosevich's (1927), Bubnov's (1931), Popov's (numerous editions from 1930 till 1935), and finally Knorin's (1935) before the infamous Short Course came into being with the explicit purpose of creating an reliably official account.

The exalted stature of the Short Course came to an end with Stalin's death, and it wasn't until 1959 that another official history of the party came into being, which in turn quickly necessitated revisions, etc.
Soviet cogitations: 758
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Jan 2008, 19:10
Komsomol
Post 07 Jun 2018, 13:04
I generally prefer reading text to PDF, and I just have to say the OCR full text of this came out beautifully. Good job scanning, and also maybe because its a newer book.
Kamran Heiss
Komsomol
Post 07 Jun 2018, 17:41
As an aside, I also just scanned a Soviet history of China covering the 17th century up to 1918: https://archive.org/details/ModernHistoryChina
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.