Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

KPRF Candidate for Governor vs. Russian Pseudo-Democracy

Soviet cogitations: 4405
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Resident Soviet
Post 03 Sep 2019, 12:13
Hi comrades. I wanted to mention this here because I didn't see it literally anywhere else in the English language media, but Vladimir Bortko, a famous local film director and the Communist Party's candidate for governor of St. Petersburg, has dropped out of the race in scandal, just over a week before the vote.

Despite his good chances to force a second round of voting, and even hopes that he could beat Putin favourite Alexander Beglov, Bortko dropped out after saying he wasn't ready to agree to the traditionally arranged farce of the KPRF getting its low double digits second place finish while the Kremlin favourite handily gets the post. Bortko had threatened to walk after discovering that authorities had organised some shady looking voting districts in neighbouring Pskov region, which he said would likely be used for ballot stuffing in favour of Beglov (this is one of several ways authorities in Russia have found to guarantee the 'victory' of the needed candidate).

Bortko's decision actually appeared to be quite an embarrassment for the KPRF, who were apparently content to see things go as usual. Bortko said he didn't consult Zyuganov and others because he said they would probably try to talk him out of it.

Bottom line: Despite criticism from some corners that Bortko, as the strongest opposition candidate, had effectively handed the election to Beglov by dropping out, I think his real purpose was to expose the sham state of Russia's 'democratic elections', where for over two decades now, the opposition has essentially never won anything important despite the incompetence and corruption of the ruling elite.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 9260
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2005, 20:08
Embalmed
Post 03 Sep 2019, 18:34
I mean that's what happened in Mexico in 1976 when the opposition boycotted elections, but real change came much later, in 1994, due to the left wing splitting from the ruling party (that took place in 1986, following the 1982 debt crisis). But that's probably a bad parallel because the current regime in Russia is extremely apolitical and obsessed with austerity to avoid a debt crisis. So if you say anything about that, you're anti-sovereignty. Otherwise I don't think there's anything that can really motivate people. Liberals have no serious objections except that they'd like to be the ones in charge, leftists don't really have a drive to do stuff. Until either of these changes, I don't think anything will happen.

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
"Every time is gyros time" - Stalinista
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.