Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Kerry: "We have to talk to Assad"

Soviet cogitations: 2298
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Aug 2010, 14:21
Party Bureaucrat
Post 15 Mar 2015, 15:32
I think we can safely announce that Assad has won this bloody war. If we can call that a victory.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-31897389

"Fishing is part of agriculture" Gred
"Loz, you are like me" Yami
"I am one of the better read Marxists on this site" Gred
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 9398
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2005, 20:08
Embalmed
Post 15 Mar 2015, 15:54
This is more of a result of internal wrangling than any sort of conflict. Last month Kerry was a hair away from saying that the US will attack Assad at a Foreign Affairs Committee appropriations hearing for the State Department, but it didn't really gather much support. In the past three days they felt their way to the admittance by first having a guy in the CIA say it and then Kerry. I wouldn't say that Assad is still "safe" from US aggression, but they probably will try to reach out to him with the goal of getting him to concede positions, telling him that if he is "uncooperative," intervention would be back on the table. In addition to that, Washington's been losing the rebels to both ISIS, where the FSA and others have been defecting, and Russia, which has started conducting alternative peace talks that haven't really made much progress so far. So for now they had to concede the position of armed intervention for now because there is simply no one whose behalf they can really intervene on.

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
"Every time is gyros time" - Stalinista
Soviet cogitations: 10797
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Dec 2004, 23:53
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 19 Mar 2015, 05:51
Sounds like the media needs to start hyping up aggression against Syria: Syria conflict: Government accused of chlorine attack

"Earlier this month, the UN Security Council approved a resolution that condemned the use of toxic chemicals such as chlorine in Syria, and threatened military action in case of further violations."

Funny how it came out just a few days after this.

"By what standard of morality can the violence used by a slave to break his chains be considered the same as the violence of a slave master?" - Walter Rodney
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 9398
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2005, 20:08
Embalmed
Post 19 Mar 2015, 07:11
I mean Russia and China voted for (while Venezuela abstained), which probably means everything it ok. ISIS and some other snackbar group have also used chlorine recently iirc.

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
"Every time is gyros time" - Stalinista
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.