Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Ebola Outbreak

Soviet cogitations: 4796
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Feb 2004, 11:09
Ideology: Other Leftist
Central Committee
Post 02 Nov 2014, 17:59
House arrest doesn't make much sense for someone who has ebola actually.

When someone has ebola, you really need qualified people who are able to handle the infectious waste. That's best done at a hospital for actual ebola cases.

Again, the problem isn't that the protocols in place and the things Doctors Without Borders and this nurse want to follow are necessarily wrong, it's that the couple of cases so far in the US have been very, very suspect in terms of how the nurse from Dallas and the Doctor from New York have ACTUALLY behaved. Both of them have more or less knowingly put public health at risk because they wanted to go about their daily business as normal. This has made it very difficult for the CDC to actually do their jobs on figuring out who needs to be monitored and notified of contact with them.

The people haven't been trustworthy thus far, which is why I think it's reasonable that it not be left up to anything Voluntary.

I guess I just don't get her outrage. I mean, really? fragging 21 days at home? She's acting like this is a legitimate, important civil rights matter. It's fragging laughable that anyone would think that, but oh well, America...
Soviet cogitations: 1201
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 May 2008, 14:59
Forum Commissar
Post 02 Nov 2014, 20:44
SciHobo wrote:
When someone has ebola, you really need qualified people who are able to handle the infectious waste. That's best done at a hospital for actual ebola cases.

Well, yes. But the easiest way to do that would be to confine someone to one place and keep track of them. House arrest is the easiest way to do that while minimizing contact with others.

SciHobo wrote:
I guess I just don't get her outrage.

From what I can tell, pretty much no one else does either. 3 week house arrest is a far cry from being rounded up and shipped to camps on the west coast of California. I find it difficult to reconcile that someone apparently alturisitic enough to support medical efforts in Africa would have such a low regard for public necessity.

SciHobo wrote:
The people haven't been trustworthy thus far, which is why I think it's reasonable that it not be left up to anything Voluntary.

It's not so much a matter of who can be trusted to do what as it is the cost of regulating the movement of a group of people that can be counted on one hand versus the potential effect. Committing a couple of troopers to make sure someone doesn't pop over to the grocery store when no one is looking is enough.

Forum Rules

Red_Son: Bob Avakian is the Glenn Beck of communism.
"Le prolétariat; c'est moi." - King Indigo XIV
Soviet cogitations: 4796
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Feb 2004, 11:09
Central Committee
Post 02 Nov 2014, 20:52
I actually was with a group of friends last night and they were all pretty much on her side. I was trying to remind them what significant civil rights issues actually are, and that this is not one, regardless of the ebola fear.
Soviet cogitations: 1201
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 May 2008, 14:59
Forum Commissar
Post 02 Nov 2014, 21:43
That's...incredible. I really can't think of another word for it. It's pretty sad that this is what people think of when they think "civil rights violation".

Forum Rules

Red_Son: Bob Avakian is the Glenn Beck of communism.
"Le prolétariat; c'est moi." - King Indigo XIV
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.