Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Poland broadcasts "truth" to Belarus

Soviet cogitations: 436
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Nov 2006, 21:54
Unperson
Post 17 Jan 2007, 22:22
Quote:
Poland broadcasts "truth" to Belarus
Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:58pm ET
By Chris Johnson

BIALYSTOK, Poland (Reuters) - From simple back offices in a provincial Polish town, a radio station is broadcasting around the clock to Belarus, giving the ex-Soviet republic one of its few sources of independent news.

Run by opponents of Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko, Radio Racja (Truth) is helping wage an information war against a regime branded by U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice as "Europe's last dictatorship".

Supported by the Polish Foreign Ministry and Budapest-based Open Society Institute founded by U.S. billionaire investor George Soros, Radio Racja is one of only two independent stations broadcasting freely into Belarus.

The station uses Web technology to mix popular music and social commentary with uncensored news in both Belarussian and Russian, aiming to provide a platform for both opposition parties and Belarussian bands, some of which are banned at home.

"I dream of a free and independent Belarus," says editor-in- chief Wiktor Stachwiuk, a 58-year-old exile. "I want to give Belarussians a taste of a free society. Official media do not let them hear what is really going on."

Lukashenko, in power since 1994, keeps a tight rein on the eastern European country and its 10 million inhabitants, sandwiched between Poland and Russia.

He rejects all criticism of his rule and has called for vigilance to keep Belarus safe from Western "lies and violence". Opposition politicians and journalists have disappeared and all media outlets face serious restrictions.

Western countries accuse Lukashenko of systematic crackdowns on the opposition and dismiss all Belarus elections over the last decade as unfair. They say the president blatantly rigged elections last year to engineer a landslide win for himself.

"I could not simply stand by and watch what was happening in my country without doing anything," Stachwiuk said. He first set up Radio Racja in 1999 and it broadcast from the Polish capital of Warsaw until 2002.

INTIMIDATION

His Warsaw station eventually ran into financial problems and it took Stachwiuk and his associates three more years to raise enough money to launch the station in Bialystok, closer to Belarus and able to broadcast deeper into the country.

It now has a budget of $1 million a year, half of which is spent on transmitters: two in Poland and two in Lithuania.

Almost a year after its relaunch, Stachwiuk estimates Radio Racja, with a staff of just 32, has an audience of up to 400,000 mostly in western Belarus, plus tens of thousands of exiles, and says it is building up rapidly on short and medium wave and on a newly launched FM band:

"The station can be heard well on medium wave all the way to (Belarus capital) Minsk and can even be picked up in Finland."

The station has a small network of reporters, mostly working under pseudonyms, across Belarus who record programs using MP3 technology and send them via the Internet to Bialystok or to one of two covert editing stations in Belarus.

Radio Racja editors say their correspondents face daily harassment from the Belarus authorities -- mostly just petty intimidation but occasionally arrest and jail.

"Several of our people have been put in prison for a few days, one for 10 days, but nothing more serious so far," said Michal Andrysiuk, 47, head of FM broadcasting.

"One of our correspondents broadcast live from a police car after being arrested on a charge of cursing in the street. Hooliganism is the most frequent official excuse to arrest people who are obviously known to the police," he said.

"NO TRUTH IN THE NEWS"

Belarus opposition politicians and journalists welcome Radio Racja's efforts to break the state media monopoly but say its impact so far has been limited, partly because most Belarussians rely on television for news.

Zhanna Litvina, head of the Belarussian Association of Journalists, said by telephone it was a "comforting thought that such radio stations exist and that Belarussians are working for them".

"Unfortunately, you cannot say that such projects are very effective in current Belarussian conditions. To make them effective you would need transmitters in Belarus and under current conditions that is impossible."

But the radio station's backers in Poland are convinced that there is an audience and that it is growing: "I was in Belarus some time ago and met people listening to the radio and glad of it," said Michal Dworczyk, a key advisor on eastern European issues to Polish Prime Minister Jaroslaw Kaczynski. "The media role in the fight for democracy is indisputable. For Belarus and its people, it is essential."

And Radio Racja's staff say they are not discouraged and will keep broadcasting, even if the audience is tiny.

"We really want to show what is going on. We try to be objective, asking for comment from the government, but they won't talk to us," said program director Jana Kamienskaja, 37.

"'There is no news in the truth, and there is no truth in the news' -- unfortunately this old Soviet proverb is still valid in Belarus."

Belarus officials declined to comment on Radio Racja.

Reuters

This is immensely provocative behaviour on the part of Poland. Such blatant dissemination of propaganda can only be regarded as subversion. These outlets can be characterized as overt propaganda because they do not analyze the news and politics in an objective manner but instead spread slander and lies similar to what's found on "Radio Free Europe". It seems that Poland is trying to reconquer Belorussia but this time through proxy.
banistansig2
Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Resident Soviet
Post 17 Jan 2007, 23:08
Something I don't understand about Lukashenko's opponents is why they keep pushing for the same system advocated by the late opponents of the Soviet system after already having witnessed the devastating impact that free market policy has had on the economies of the republics of the former USSR and the deceptive nature of Western 'free society' terminology.

The people of the late Soviet Union were fooled, tricked, and coerced by nationalism, the flash of Western consumerism, and ideals of bourgeois liberalism, along with most of the decisions being made without their input by Gorbachev and the self-appointed national leaders. These anti-Lukashenko Milinkievič groupies have no excuse when it comes to their attitudes and behaviour. It brings me to think of the Einstein quote "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Soviet cogitations: 148
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Jan 2007, 05:00
Pioneer
Post 18 Jan 2007, 03:17
I've heard that Belarus's economy is only 20% privatized which is good compared to China which is 50% privatized. What is the political situation there? What's the economic situation like?

"The People, and the people alone, are the motive force in the making of world history."

-- Mao Zedong
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 9187
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2005, 20:08
Embalmed
Post 18 Jan 2007, 17:52
Quote:
What is the political situation there?

Lukashenko.

Quote:
What's the economic situation like?

GDP growth of 14% a year for several years now. Twice that of Russia. They have the 3rd highest wages in the CIS after Russia and Kazakhstan, and some of the highest prices. Though it's probably fragged now without lower gas and fuel prices which Russia subsidized Belarus with.

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
"Every time is gyros time" - Stalinista
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 4032
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Oct 2006, 23:10
Politburo
Post 19 Jan 2007, 03:12
I wonder how tim and Fin fang foom and urmas can explain that rate of growth in a largely state controlled economy. I meen compare it to poland or ukraine?
Soviet cogitations: 1038
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Jun 2006, 07:25
Party Member
Post 19 Jan 2007, 04:49
Quote:
I wonder how tim and Fin fang foom and urmas can explain that rate of growth in a largely state controlled economy. I meen compare it to poland or ukraine?

They would most probably say that those statistics are falsified

By the way, it's written in CIA World Factbook that Belarus had "only" 9.2% in 2005
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fa ... .html#Econ

[Edit]Wait a minute! According to CIA WF (And I'm sure everyone believe it
), that's their explanation:
Quote:
Belarus continues to receive heavily discounted oil and natural gas from Russia. Much of Belarus' growth can be attributed to the re-export of Russian oil at market prices.

Lies.

Homer: "You guys are commies? Then why am I seeing free markets?"
Soviet cogitations: 7674
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Nov 2004, 02:08
Embalmed
Post 19 Jan 2007, 05:21
Quote:
Lies.

Lies, by CIA Spies.

But seriously folks, whats really going on here? I thought Bel. was on that nice long, broken, dirty, unpaved, with holes in it road to capitalism and 'democracy' like the rest of eastern europe.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 4032
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Oct 2006, 23:10
Politburo
Post 19 Jan 2007, 06:04
From what I read on wikipedia, Lukashenko is a really good guy, excepts for the fact that it is a dictatorship (according to wikipedia.)
Soviet cogitations: 2870
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Nov 2005, 17:55
Party Bureaucrat
Post 19 Jan 2007, 07:30
Quote:
I thought Bel. was on that nice long, broken, dirty, unpaved, with holes in it road to capitalism and 'democracy' like the rest of eastern europe.

Lukashenko's government, unlike the others, has tried to maintain some of the Soviet state systems to prevent the social degradation that happened to the rest of Eastern Europe.

Belarus' government is republican (even if the alleged election fraud did not happen in Lukashenko's most recent reelection, he still would have won fairly)

"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
--Napoleon Bonaparte
Soviet cogitations: 285
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Jul 2006, 18:37
Komsomol
Post 19 Jan 2007, 14:36
Quote:
This is immensely provocative behaviour on the part of Poland. Such blatant dissemination of propaganda can only be regarded as subversion. These outlets can be characterized as overt propaganda because they do not analyze the news and politics in an objective manner but instead spread slander and lies similar to what's found on "Radio Free Europe". It seems that Poland is trying to reconquer Belorussia but this time through proxy.

What tha frag Poland want to conquer Bellorussia? It's same than with Ukraine- most of the people don't support actions against Lukaszenko as well as against Kutschma. In survey's during orange 'revolution' was shown clearly- 80 % of Poles support the will of Ukrainians not Juszczenko neither Kutschma.

Thoose actions taken by the goverment for Amerikkka money together with endorcers and small helpers of imperialism as polish liberals- which went to Ukraine during orange time and are trying to get to the Bellorussia. They are not supported by the nation, as well as war in Iraq etc.

The gov. is spreading 'freedom' to the Bellarussia, in the same time ignoring ortodox minority in northeast Poland- last years they didn't get allowance for their temple, then the students that won't attend lessons because of chrismast eve but ortodox not catcholic would be punished.

The organisations like: 'Intiative for Democracy in Bellarussia' etc. don't even hide that are funded by U$.

More than half of members of Union of Poles in Belorussia, had in open letter condemn the rights of it's leader Angelica Borys to act against Lukaszenko.

More over in Poland there have been taken actions against involvment of Poland i Belarussia.

So don't write as "polish lords (read: all Poles) are harassing belarussian proles (read: all Belarussians).
[+-]
Embalmed
Post 19 Jan 2007, 15:34
Quote:
Lies.

Well, that's what the union pact with Yeltsyn was all about. He wanted to receive gas and oil at domestic prices and resell it to Europe at world prices.

The thing is, after their little Orange Revolition, Ukraine's economy growth fell fourfold, from 6% or even more, equivalent to Russia's to a lowly 1.5%. Kyrgyzstan's economy is declining at 1.5% a year after their revolution, though the change was probably for the better there. This is why no one wants any stupid revolution shit anymore.

The thing about Lukashenko is that he subsidized industrial complexes in the 90's to stop them from becoming privatized and then extinct, and now they don't have to rebuild infrastructure for manifacturing like Russia does, as everything is already there.

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
Soviet cogitations: 436
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Nov 2006, 21:54
Unperson
Post 19 Jan 2007, 18:42
Quote:
What tha frag Poland want to conquer Bellorussia?

It's a figure of speech. Conquest in this context refers to domination by proxy rather than unleashing a ground invasion.

Quote:
So don't write as "polish lords (read: all Poles) are harassing belarussian proles (read: all Belarussians).

My apologies. I'll from now on take into consideration that there are actually some progressive Polish people.
banistansig2
Party Bureaucrat
Post 19 Jan 2007, 23:36
It's the Polish government and Polish business interests that are in play here, and I'm sure that's what Jacob Peters was referring to.

--Napoleon Bonaparte
J.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 605
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Apr 2003, 22:15
Komsomol
Post 19 Jan 2007, 23:39
Maybe not only Polish interests. I have a suspicious feeling that Poland itself is a proxy in the greater scheme concerning Belarus.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 19 Jan 2007, 23:47
Of course, Poland is only a proxy for the EU and possibly the US, although Polish business stands to benefit the most from spreading its vicious messages to Belarussians.

--Napoleon Bonaparte
Tim
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 1418
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 02 Mar 2005, 11:16
Party Member
Post 20 Jan 2007, 03:20
Kirov wrote:
GDP growth of 14% a year for several years now.

They are not growing at 14% a year. I'd like to know how that numbers come up. Having 14% annual growth consecutively makes it the hgihest growing country in the world. The highest rank belongs to China.

Belarus scores high on economic growth during 2004, accounting 11%, making it one of the highest (2nd place among CIS). Growth in 2005 is 9.2%

cmoibenlepro wrote:
They would most probably say that those statistics are falsified

You sir are a precious flower. Have you actually clarified whether the statistics are correct?

Belarus high GDP may be seen as a good factor, not too mention that thanks to it 12.7% of headcount poverty has decreased. Yet it was able to accomplished so thanks to highly regulated and highly subsidized economy. When foreign competition is introduced, Belarus won't survive. The government has been able to survive because it limits the market.

They also need to diversify their exports if they want to suceed. And prior to diversification of exports, what need to take place is reform. Something that Lukashenko is incapable of doing. 36% of their exports are to Russia and 60% of their imported goods come from Russia.

You might get away with personal attacks in other forums, or when I miss it - but don't risk it. Consider this your warning.

-TIG Edit
[+-]
Embalmed
Post 20 Jan 2007, 03:47
Quote:
They are not growing at 14% a year. I'd like to know how that numbers come up. Having 14% annual growth consecutively makes it the hgihest growing country in the world. The highest rank belongs to China.

Nope, Azerbaijan had 27% GDP growth this year, and similar for previous years.

Yeah, Belarus had a growth rate of only 9.9%/year, which is higher than Russia's 6.9 - where the enterprises have been privatized.

I don't see why they are not "succeeding." They are doing pretty damn well for an ex-Soviet country with no natural resources.

Tim
[+-]
Party Member
Post 20 Jan 2007, 04:09
Quote:
Nope, Azerbaijan had 27% GDP growth this year, and similar for previous years.

You are looking only at the percentage, not the magnitude of GDP.

Azerbaijan's GDP-PPP adjusted $ 58,100,000,000 (2006)

China's GDP-PPP adjusted $ 10,000,000,000,000 (2006)

Quote:
Yeah, Belarus had a growth rate of only 9.9%/year, which is higher than Russia's 6.9 - where the enterprises have been privatized.

Because in Russia, you have competition without proper law. Udermining the whole confidence of the economy. In Belarus, they have laws to prevent competition, profiting the state owned enterprises of theif monopolies.

And if you actually compared the magnitude,

Russia's GDP: $ 1,723,000,000,000
Belarus GDP: $ 80,740,000,000
Soviet cogitations: 1038
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Jun 2006, 07:25
Party Member
Post 20 Jan 2007, 04:56
Quote:
You sir are a precious flower.

Thank you!
What could I say?
Quote:
Belarus high GDP may be seen as a good factor, not too mention that thanks to it 12.7% of headcount poverty has decreased. Yet it was able to accomplished so thanks to highly regulated and highly subsidized economy.

Right.
Quote:
When foreign competition is introduced, Belarus won't survive.

It seems that they see no reason to introduce it.

Homer: "You guys are commies? Then why am I seeing free markets?"
Tim
[+-]
Party Member
Post 20 Jan 2007, 05:18
Quote:
Thank you! Very Happy What could I say?

You don't need to, your thanks is enough.

Quote:
It seems that they see no reason to introduce it.

Not until they're bankrupt.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.