Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

The Shiite Killings in Iraq

Soviet cogitations: 9306
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 02 Mar 2004, 15:19
Ideology: Other Leftist
Old Bolshevik
Post 10 Mar 2004, 14:01
This is what I thought was a very interesting article. I found it at The Official Organ of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Cuba

Who is behind the Shiite killings?

BY ROBERT FISK*

IT’S odd, isn’t it? There has never been a civil war in Iraq. I have never heard a single word indicating animosity between Sunnis and Shiites in Iraq. Al Qaeda has never launched any threat against the Shiites, even though its organization is exclusively composed of Sunnis. Nevertheless for weeks the U.S. occupation authorities have been advising us of a civil war and have even circulated a letter from an Al Qaeda operative command referring to a conflict between Sunnis and Shiites. Journalists who normally conduct themselves coherently have returned with gusto to the theme: civil war.

For some reason, I don’t believe it. No, I don’t think that the Americans are behind the butchery of March 2, despite the cries of accusation from the Iraqi survivors. But I am concerned about the Iraqi groups in exile who think that their acts could provoke precisely what the Americans want: a degree of terror so great that it would lead to a civil war that would make the Iraqis accept any plan that the United States proposes for Mesopotamia.

I am thinking of the French agents in Algeria in 1962 who planted bombs in the Algerian Muslim community in France. I recall the desperate efforts of the French authorities who tried to set Algerians Muslims against other Algerian Muslims – the FLN against the ALN – which resulted in the death of one million people. And I am afraid that I am also thinking of Ireland and the bomb attacks in Dublin, Monaghan and Dundalk in 1974 which, as the years go by, would appear to be increasingly linked (thanks to "loyal" Protestant paramilitaries) to British army security agents. Pakistan has antecedents of sectarian conflicts – for which Britain, historically, is not exempt of blame – for which reason the slaughter in Quetta on March 4 could very well have no connection whatsoever with Iraq.

But the bombs in Kerbala and Baghdad were clearly coordinated. The same brain is behind both explosions. Is it a Sunni brain? When the spokesman for the occupation authorities suggested that the bombings were the work of the Al Qaeda, he obviously knew what he was saying: that the network is a Sunni movement and that the victims were Shiites.

It is not that I believe that Al Qaeda is incapable of such a bloodbath. But I ask myself why the Americans are harping on so much about the Sunnis and Shiites and why they are insisting on emphasizing the danger of a civil war.

Let’s turn this supposition around. If a violent Sunni movement wished to expel the Americans from Iraq – and there is certainly a resistance fighting with much cruelty to achieve that – why would it want to turn the Iraqi population, 60% of which is constituted of Shiites, against it? The last thing that such a resistance, which is fighting the only world superpower, would want is to have the majority of Iraqis against it.

And what do they have on Al Qaeda? The Americans and the new Iraqi police force trained by the Americans have told us that the suicide attackers were "foreign." Maybe they are, but who can give us their names, identities and nationalities?

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has referred to hundreds of "foreign" combatants flowing over the "porous" Saudi Arabian borders. The U.S. press has obediently repeated all this. But, who are the attackers? What are their identities? What countries are they from?

Given that the Iraqi police are still announcing they have found the attackers’ passports, could they provide us with the numbers of those passports?

We are entering a murky and sinister period in the history of Iraq, in which there will be murky and sinister events. But an occupation authority exists that should consider a civil war as the last eventuality that they would want to contemplate, and yet it is insisting on shouting "civil war" in our ears, and that worries me.

Especially when bombs convert it into something real.

*The author is a British journalist.

Published in The Independent and La Jornada

Fitzy wrote:
Yes, because I am poisoning them. They are my children.
Soviet cogitations: 1598
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 23 Feb 2004, 22:46
Party Member
Post 10 Mar 2004, 22:22
Very interesting article. It certainly raises a lot of questions on just what exactly is going on in Iraq...
Comrade Andrei Mazenov
2007 Winner of Soviet-Empire's A View to Kilt Award

Soviet cogitations: 9306
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 02 Mar 2004, 15:19
Ideology: Other Leftist
Old Bolshevik
Post 11 Mar 2004, 11:15
Well it'll be a while before these questions are ever answered. You know how the press is during war, unreliable would be an understatement.

Fitzy wrote:
Yes, because I am poisoning them. They are my children.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.