Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Was the Soviet Russian Army made up of just Russians?

Soviet cogitations: 3
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 03 Apr 2016, 00:22
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 03 Apr 2016, 17:12
During the Soviet Union, was the Soviet Army just made up of Russian citizens, or were men from places like Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan also part of the Army, or did they have their own separate military forces?
Soviet cogitations: 1
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Apr 2016, 02:05
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 29 Apr 2016, 02:09
The Soviet Army was made up of every ethnicity in the Soviet Union. A majority were Russians though as Russia had the highest population.

Soldiers who joined did generally stay in their home area " Ukrainian soldiers stationed in Ukraine, Uzbek soldiers stationed in central asia " but they weren't separated by ethnicity.

Some Russians, Ukrainians, a Georgian, a Siberian and a Kazakh could all be together
Soviet cogitations: 12389
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Apr 2010, 04:44
Ideology: None
Philosophized
Post 15 May 2016, 01:47
I'd be more interested to know what happened with the pensions of Kazakhs, Belarussians, etc., with long service in the Red Army/Navy who retired in the late 80's just before the breakup of the USSR. Were these pensions immediately cut off, or do some people still receive them?
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Soviet cogitations: 25
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Apr 2014, 19:04
Pioneer
Post 21 May 2016, 13:01
AFAIK successor states to the USSR, and Belarus as well as Kazakhstan being such, honored Red Army / Soviet Army (entire military) retirement obligations – that is as far as pensions and wages were paid at all. Keep in mind that during the 90-ties collapse it was not unusually in Russia and other former Soviet republics for wages, pensions and such to be paid from time to time (for example four times a year) and for the rest of the time it was fend for yourself as good as you can (it never was that bed in Belarus though).
Soviet cogitations: 981
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Aug 2011, 22:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Komsomol
Post 28 Jun 2016, 19:36
Yegor Gaydar's book "The Fall of an Empire" has a lot of info regarding the national distribution in the Red Army, category by category (VDV, etc.)
Collapse of an Empire: Lessons for Modern Russia, by Yegor Gaidar, Brookings Institution Press (17 October 2007), ISBN 0-8157-3114-0.
http://www.gaidar.org/
Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Resident Soviet
Post 28 Jun 2016, 22:31
For the record, you can find more information about the national composition of the Soviet army in this thread:

http://www.soviet-empire.com/ussr/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=54817

Also, EdvardK, why do you keep linking to Gaidar's book? He was an anti-communist turncoat whose policies helped lead to the deaths of millions of Russians. Why would anyone listen to him, particularly on this site? You might as well link to Robert Conquest or Richard Pipes' analyses of the collapse.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 30 Jun 2016, 06:17
It's easily downloadable though ( pdf on the first page ), and these statistics are not really that controversial anyway.
Soviet cogitations: 981
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Aug 2011, 22:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Komsomol
Post 01 Jul 2016, 18:33
I found his book overwhelmed with archival documents so I can not dispute that. Whether he was pro or anti is of secondary value. He lists and shows lots of factual documents. Anyone with some intelligence can use those documents to form one's own point of view.
Soviet cogitations: 61
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 15 May 2016, 15:31
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Pioneer
Post 07 Mar 2018, 00:44
of course it was made up of soldiers from all the republics
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.