Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Artillery systems of the USSR and former Bloc nations.

Soviet cogitations: 260
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Oct 2011, 08:59
Ideology: Other
Komsomol
Post 03 Apr 2013, 20:20
As a former artilleryman, I learned a great deal about the history of artillery in a very short amount of time, even making a passing glance at the artillery museum at Fort Sill (I walked up to Atomic Anne). As such, I was mostly educated in US artillery platforms and never saw much of anything about Russian artillery, though I am sure it was taught during the cold war.

So, I am curious, what artillery platforms are in common usage by Russia (USSR and Post-USSR) and former Bloc nations. What are the pros and cons to them versus the US/UK systems?
Soviet cogitations: 2051
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Jun 2011, 08:37
Party Bureaucrat
Post 03 Apr 2013, 22:54
This is a super broad question.

A lot of early cold war and even ww2 era guns are in use throughout the world, like the 122mm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/122_mm_how ... 1938_(M-30)

and of course plenty of mortars and others.

Generally, conventional soviet artillery was mostly practical, solid and well designed. Up through WW2 at least, all guns would be issued at least a few anti-tank or HEAT shells, to deal with German tank breakthroughs. I don't know if that was kept up post-war, particularly with the advent of the RPG and ATGM's
Soviet America is Free America!

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
Soviet cogitations: 260
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Oct 2011, 08:59
Ideology: Other
Komsomol
Post 04 Apr 2013, 07:02
Broad, yes, and for that I apologize. But it is interesting to know why I've not heard much about their field artillery.
Soviet cogitations: 22
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Oct 2012, 06:32
Pioneer
Post 10 Apr 2013, 05:48
I think the USSR relied heavily on multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS) compared to the U.S. These are not as accurate as conventional artillery but provide devastating firepower.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.