Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Preparation and Mobilization for war

Soviet cogitations: 4
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Oct 2009, 23:24
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 20 May 2012, 02:09
What were the USSR's plans/theories on how to run a national security state?
How did they perceive peace and war?
How would Soviet society have been mobilized for general war?

Any links to books, articles, etc would be appreciated.
Soviet cogitations: 2051
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Jun 2011, 08:37
Party Bureaucrat
Post 20 May 2012, 06:08
That's questions worthy of a library of books.

I can speak a little to military organization at least.

The soviets kept a generally high level of military readiness. Units were divided into 4 groupings. Category 1 (Im sure the term is different in russian, this is the term used by western sources) were kept near full strength, and often (though not always) with up to date kit.
Category 2 troops were somewhat below strength, but could be quickly reinforced (as the USSR had universal military service, there was always an ample supply of recruits) and reasonable kit.
Category 3 troops would take a fair amount of time, as they often had only maybe 25% of their manpower. Equipment might well be behind the times (unlikely to have BMP's, tanks might well be T34 or T55 way even after these were replaced etc)

The last group was "mobilization only" units, almost universally motor rifles. These were basically skeleton structures that would take months to mobilize, and were mainly for reinforcement in terms of prolonged war.

Soviet military thinking was heavily based on the idea of a pre-emptive strike. THey had witnessed the devastation of fighting an extended war on their own territory, and in the event of unavoidable war, the idea was to smash into Germany and west, as hard as possible, hoping to contain the fighting there and ideally shatter the enemy through sheer shock.

If you want more specific tactical and strategic stuff, I can try and find information for you.
Soviet America is Free America!

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
Post 21 May 2012, 23:54
[quote="runequester"}]
If you want more specific tactical and strategic stuff, I can try and find information for you.[/quote]

If it is not too much trouble, anything you find would be great.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 22 May 2012, 03:15
Since the topic is so broad, it might be better if you ask specific questions. Then myself and others can attempt to answer them.

Ive read a lot on the topic, but most is more directly battlefield related.

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
Post 23 May 2012, 23:56
runequester wrote:
Since the topic is so broad, it might be better if you ask specific questions. Then myself and others can attempt to answer them.
Ive read a lot on the topic, but most is more directly battlefield related.

Ok, let's start with the post WWII Soviet Union.
1. Were there numerical limits on how many people were to be called up for uniformed military service, either reservists or conscripts? IOW, in the USA in WWII there was a limit of 10% of the total population that could be maintained in uniformed w/o interfering with production. Were there comparable post WWII Soviet calculations?

2. Regarding the Soviet ground forces , what were the time lines for reservists to report to there units? Were these schedules tested and met?

Did the answers to the above questions change over the years?
Party Bureaucrat
Post 30 May 2012, 06:16
My apologies. I am separated from the relevant books at the moment. I'll get back to yo uas soon as I can.

Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.