Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

50th Anniversary of The "Bay of Pigs" Military Parade.

Soviet cogitations: 90
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Sep 2010, 22:24
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Pioneer
Post 27 Aug 2011, 11:55
Just found this on youtube, wasn't sure if it had been posted or if anyone had seen it. It was the military parade to celebrate the victory at the Bay of Pigs, or "Playa Giron" as the Cuban's know it. Was originally posted in April, but still, was this year. Comes in three parts;

Part One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIZ_6hK_L74

Part Two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IY0rRYsQzw&feature=related

Part Three
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB_VwJZFZJk&feature=related

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to military tech...could someone who knows some stuff tell me whether the equipment the Cuban's use is modern (ish), or not?
Soviet cogitations: 4953
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Feb 2008, 15:25
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 27 Aug 2011, 12:48
Cuba's military is mostly equipped with late cold war era equipment, with attempts at modernisation where possible, especially for the most elite units. The military got scaled down a lot during the Special period and has only recently started to be given importance again from what I've been able to tell.

If the US invaded tomorrow, the Cubans would need to rely on special forces operations and guerrilla warfare tactics to thwart it. They badly need to employ more modern and extensive air defences to at least be able to frustrate American attempts at gaining air superiority.
Soviet cogitations: 90
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Sep 2010, 22:24
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Pioneer
Post 27 Aug 2011, 14:26
Thanks Fellow Comrade. If I may ask some more questions;

When in Cuba, I saw what appeared to be MiGs flying over. How modern is the Cuban Airforce would you say? how would it match up against the US?

Also, Where does Cuba, and any other anti-imperialist country get their arms? I know the majority are using old Cold War tech, but for countries like Cuba, the DPRK, or whoever else, where would modern armed supplies come from? China? Russia?
Soviet cogitations: 4953
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Feb 2008, 15:25
Politburo
Post 30 Aug 2011, 12:50
Most of the Cuban air force is up to late 80's standard and their air defences (surface to air missiles and the like) are older than this. If Cuba hopes to frustrate US bombing raids, should they ever happen, they would need to buy the latest digital air defence systems from China and Russia, and purchase fighters like the SU-30mkII. These systems would need to be integrated into a national air defence network to function most effectively.

At the moment, Cuba simply doesn't have the money to fund such a system. However, it seems that a lot of crude oil is located in Cuban waters which when exploited will give its economy a giant boost. I expect that we will soon see military deals being signed with China and Russia (both of which are eager to sell weapons to US wary South America) to purchase new systems. I just hope that in the current circumstances, air defences are given more importance than ground defences.

The most important thing in a modern war is to stop the enemy from gaining air superiority. It's going to be hard for a single country like Cuba to resist the full weight of the US air force, but with the right equipment and training, it could frustrate the yanks and prevent them from being able to fly over Cuba with complete impunity. Without total air superiority, the US would think twice before launching a full scale land invasion.
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 30 Aug 2011, 13:44
There's absolutely no way a country like Cuba could even dream about contesting the US air superiority over its skies for more than 40 minutes.
Not with the US being just 200 or so miles off the Cuban coast.
IMO,even if Cuba somehow managed to build an Air Force and Anti-Air Defense the size of,for example,Russian one they'd still have a very hard time repelling the world's biggest and most powerful Airforce.
But that's of course impossible.Cuba should focus on acquiring some good SAMs like the Russian S-300/400 but these are way too expensive for a country that's chronically short of hard-currency.
Soviet cogitations: 2051
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Jun 2011, 08:37
Party Bureaucrat
Post 30 Aug 2011, 16:32
Contesting US air power is foolish. Go to ground like the Serbs did or fight an insurgency from day one.
Soviet America is Free America!

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
Loz
[+-]
Philosophized
Post 30 Aug 2011, 17:04
Quote:
Go to ground like the Serbs did or fight an insurgency from day one.

What exactly are you talking about?

Where and when did Americans fight the Serbs on ground?
Soviet cogitations: 2051
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Jun 2011, 08:37
Party Bureaucrat
Post 30 Aug 2011, 17:27
Loz wrote:
What exactly are you talking about? :?:
Where and when did Americans fight the Serbs on ground?

My apologies for not being clear.

During the NATO bombings in the Yugoslav civil war, the Serbs managed to use terrain and concealment to minimize the damage they suffered.

Compare to Saddam's armies fighting a conventional war and being obliterated by airstrikes
Soviet America is Free America!

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
Loz
[+-]
Philosophized
Post 30 Aug 2011, 17:34
Quote:
My apologies for not being clear.

Oh,i see.You're right.
The NATO bombing had a really minimal effect on the Serbian Army but then the NATO switched to excessive bombing of civilian infrastructure which eventually forced Milošević to break a peace deal with NATO/KLA.
Soviet cogitations: 4779
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2010, 07:43
Politburo
Post 11 Sep 2011, 22:24
For those of you interested, there's also a series of photos taken in Cuba from around the time of the anniversary and the Party Congress that I linked to in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=132&t=50596

There are pictures taken at the parade, of veterans, at the Party Congress, of daily life in Cuba, and a few historical as well from during the Cuban Revolution and Bay of Pigs.
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.