Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Russia to Field Missile Defense-Evading ICBM by 2018

Soviet cogitations: 6
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 May 2011, 21:23
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 10 May 2011, 23:58
MDAA wrote:
Russia to Field Missile Defense-Evading ICBM by 2018

Russia intends no later than 2018 to field an all-new ICBM with the capacity to evade missile defenses, including systems based in outer space, the Xinhua News Agency reported on Thursday.

The long-range heavy ballistic missile would be an entirely new weapon and not a copy of the existing Voevoda system, one-time Russian nuclear missile chief Viktor Yesin said.

The planned fifth-generation ICBM would be designed to defeat missile defenses, while its launch facilities are also to be shielded with protective antimissile systems, Yesin said. The ICBM could be fired “within seconds” of a launch order, he added.

The new ICBM, combined with the current Yars and Topol-M missiles, would establish for Russia a first-strike capability with the ability to eliminate threats posed by an opponent’s antimissile systems, Yesin said.

Link
Soviet cogitations: 15
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 May 2011, 15:53
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 17 May 2011, 16:57
I find it very hard to believe these claims, when the same ministry is rolling out claims about the "new" T-90 MBT, which in reality is about the 18th makeover of the T-72.

For all the money rolling in for Vladimir Vladimirovich and his planned "rental economy," it sure doesn't seem to be trickling down to what were supposed to be main priorities in upgrading the military:

1. A truly new MBT
2. Abandoning the conscript military model and transitioning to a smaller, all-volunteer, professional military.
3. A 5th generation fighter and naval variant (supposedly the SU PAK FA (T-50) now is delayed until 2015.)
4. Restoration, refit, and rebuilding of what used to be the Soviet, then Russian submarine fleet.

The sad fact is that the Russian military is at least a decade behind in military engineering, manufacturing, and technology. They are really desperate to catch up, which explains why they were as POed as they were when France refused to sell them the 2 Mistral class helicopter carriers/comand ships with the electronic goodies package intact - that represented a huge chance to catch up.

«Наше дело правое. Враг будет разбит. Победа будет за нами.»
Выступление по радио В. М. Молотова 22 июня 1941 г.
Soviet cogitations: 381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 15 Nov 2010, 16:48
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Komsomol
Post 04 Jun 2011, 23:34
Quote:
he sad fact is that the Russian military is at least a decade behind in military engineering, manufacturing, and technology. They are really desperate to catch up, which explains why they were as POed as they were when France refused to sell them the 2 Mistral class helicopter carriers/comand ships with the electronic goodies package intact - that represented a huge chance to catch up.

I wouldn't be surprised if I was you, nothing has happened in that country, nothing has been produced since 1991, this isn't just in the military industry, its also in any other forms of civilian industry, food shortages are common. So I agree with you, Klim Voroshilov, that this new missile is bullshit

Quote:
In the coming weeks, the Russian government will likely take extreme measures to head off the prospects of a significant food shortage for its 146 million people. Across the spectrum there are signs that Russia will not produce enough grain and meat to feed the country in the coming year. Unwilling to allow hunger, the government in Moscow will most likely tap into its currency reserves to import food from abroad. The looming food shortage will, in turn, destabilize the Russian economy and make it more difficult for Russia to service its already staggering load of foreign debt.
][1]

sad stuff about post-soviet countries

Quote:
Abandoning the conscript military model and transitioning to a smaller, all-volunteer, professional military

I wonder who's gonna pay those soldiers

Quote:
A 5th generation fighter and naval variant (supposedly the SU PAK FA (T-50) now is delayed until 2015.)

This is a huge problem considering the level of sophistication of the soviet aerospace industry

Quote:
Aerospace was a well-developed industry in the Soviet Union. In late 1980s, the Soviet Union accounted for 25% of the worldwide civilian and 40% of the worldwide military aircraft production.[2] The consequences of the Soviet Union's dissolution in 1991 were however catastrophic. The whole manufacturing sector was devastated by imports, while the aerospace and automobile industries barely managed to survive under highly protective tariffs.[3] On the positive side, the military aircraft industry managed to benefit from improving export possibilities. It profited from a large stock of components and parts which had been produced during Soviet times. The civilian aircraft industry faced much worse: while in 1990, the country had produced 715 civilian aircraft, by 1998 the number had dropped to 54 and in 2000 only 4 civilian aircraft were produced.[2]
[2]

1.http://www.atimes.com/c-asia/BC24Ag01.html
2.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_i ... djustments

In the Soviet Union you destroy free-market, In America free-market destroys you
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.