Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

IRA tactics: Counter-intuitive but damned effective

Soviet cogitations: 4953
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Feb 2008, 15:25
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 04 May 2011, 12:41
http://exiledonline.com/wn-38-ira-vs-al-qaeda-i-was-wrong/

I stumbled upon this article while looking for the supposed photo of Bin Laden's body tonight and want to share it. The War Nerd often pisses me off with the shit he comes out with but occasionally he writes something brilliant which you can't find in the mainstream media.

Anyhow, this is about how brilliant the IRA's tactics were in terms of insurgency warfare and ultimately getting what they wanted or at least most of it. It's too long for me to post here in full and there are a lot of interesting links so it's well worth the extra click.

I'm not sure if these specific tactics would be effective in other guerrilla wars, especially ones with the ultimate aim of overthrowing Capitalism entirely, but the basic principles are certainly applicable. I've developed a new found respect for the IRA (and their sense of humour) after reading this.
Soviet cogitations: 117
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Nov 2010, 07:17
Pioneer
Post 03 Jul 2011, 01:34
Definately a good article, the IRA has always been of interest to me. I especially liked this part:

Quote:
“The first rule of guerrilla strategy is: Continue to exist.

The second rule of guerrilla strategy is: Continue to exist.

The third rule of guerrilla strategy is: Do a small, noisy attack on a symbolic target, avoiding civilian casualties, every few weeks to remind your home folks you still exist.”
Whenever death may surprise us, let it be welcome if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.
-Che Guevara
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.