Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Sci-fi weapons projects and reality

Soviet cogitations: 2848
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Nov 2004, 20:31
Party Bureaucrat
Post 23 Feb 2010, 01:50
Just saw the GoldenEye again after ages. An OK movie if you like secret agent flicks, but what caught my attention in the movie was the Soviet project and namesake of the movie: the GoldenEye, a pair of orbital weapons that can emit an EMP. While the particular weapon is fictional, weapons that involve an EMP are very real. Also, the United States had the SDI project.

The Soviet Union during Stalin's reign had a whole variety of projects that can only be described as interesting. That Stalin authorized such projects makes one wonder what sort not well known projects later Soviet leaders did authorize.
Soviet cogitations: 298
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 15 Jan 2010, 05:28
Komsomol
Post 24 Feb 2010, 02:24
EMP weapons are interesting. The "neutron bomb," I believe, used EMP. I know for sure the US had the neutron bomb, or as it was called an "enhanced radioactive warhead." Don't know if the Soviets developed any. The Chinese supposedly did in the late 90s, however.
"I am not the champion of lost causes, but the champion of causes not yet won."-Norman Thomas
Soviet cogitations: 2820
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Feb 2005, 02:51
Party Bureaucrat
Post 25 Feb 2010, 13:26
Quote:
EMP weapons are interesting. The "neutron bomb," I believe, used EMP.

==All nuclear explosions create EMP, which is a short, strong burst of electromagnetic radiation, while neutron bomb, as its name suggests, relies on a burst of high energy neutrons for it's killing power.
Soviet cogitations: 282
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Oct 2006, 21:52
Komsomol
Post 28 Feb 2010, 19:01
Plasma shield, plasma stealth, scalar weapons, anti-gravity...

Thats the only things that sound really awesome. Even if such weapons exist we can only speculate about them. The russians would keep it a secret at least for a very long time.
Soviet cogitations: 18
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 May 2012, 00:35
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 25 May 2012, 23:59
A weapon that uses not nuclear explosives, but antimatter-matter neutralization like in Angels and Demons.
That would end imperialism within about 2 minutes...
100% efficientt energy, in 1/4 grams of antimatter (about the size of an airsoft BB), 20 kilotons of pure energy and no cumbersome weight like Little Boy's twenty tons for twenty kilotons.

This would be the untimate weapon, but coulo destroy our planet...
A god of devestation in a quarter gram of antihydrogen.
Soviet cogitations: 22
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Oct 2012, 06:32
Pioneer
Post 30 Mar 2013, 08:14
Has anyone heard of the MHD aircraft that the Soviet Union was working on in the 1980's, and I guess there is still some research in it? It is called the AYAKS or AJAX, and it is supposed to be capable of hypersonic speed if it works.
Soviet cogitations: 260
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Dec 2011, 00:54
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Komsomol
Post 10 Apr 2013, 13:18
Is there any truth to the rumour that the weapon wielded by Fortune in Metal Gear Solid 2 is nased on Real Life Soviet Design?
"A shiny bauble from Capitalism is worthless when the cost is Children & the Elderly going hungry, The Infirm & Sick dying because of Greed & Education reduced to a token few to placate the masses with Illusions of freedom."
Komsomol
Post 10 Apr 2013, 13:20
Hey Oldjar07 do you have a link to anything about the MHD?

Ive not heard of it before
"A shiny bauble from Capitalism is worthless when the cost is Children & the Elderly going hungry, The Infirm & Sick dying because of Greed & Education reduced to a token few to placate the masses with Illusions of freedom."
Komsomol
Post 16 Apr 2013, 11:47
How far did the USSR get with Polyus?

Did the Soviet Union ever dabble in ground based lasers/DEW's for anti missile & anti orbital use?
Soviet cogitations: 22
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Oct 2012, 06:32
Pioneer
Post 27 May 2013, 19:43
omnimercurial wrote:
Hey Oldjar07 do you have a link to anything about the MHD?

Ive not heard of it before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaks
There's some interesting information if you just google it, too.
Soviet cogitations: 42
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Nov 2011, 06:00
Pioneer
Post 28 Jan 2014, 05:04
The Soviet Union also worked on bringing beings/things back to life like dogs, the work on Direct Energy Weapons/High Energy Lasers on aircrafts, helicopters, tanks, self-propelled surface to air vehicles, naval battle-cruisers, naval warships, strategic surface to air missiles systems. They worked on 3.5 gen/4th gen/5th gen main battle tanks, 4.5/5th gen aircraft, stealth tanks, hypersonic aircraft, and aerial/naval stealth as well.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.