Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Soviet NBC Gear

Soviet cogitations: 68
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 31 Mar 2009, 17:56
Pioneer
Post 09 Jul 2009, 16:49
Hey guys,

Working on a mod revolving around the Soviet Military for Half-Life 2. It's set in 1973, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of NBC gear was in circulation in that time period within the Soviet Army. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 4032
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Oct 2006, 23:10
Politburo
Post 09 Jul 2009, 21:13
What mod is it? Link?
Soviet cogitations: 163
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 23 Jan 2009, 15:02
Pioneer
Post 10 Jul 2009, 04:31
Dont let that movie K-19 fool you, around 73 soviet NBC weapons programs where operating at full steam, im sure thier gear was a mirror image of anything the west had at that time. I cant give you anything concrete but because NBC scares the hell out of me personally. The whole concept of fighting in an NBC environment is unrealistic. OK from personall experince in a combat environment, (in Iraq in 2003 we had to wear MOPP gear) the warfighter loses energy to quick. Keep in NBC gear does nothing against nerve agents. And nobody really knows how effective NBC gear, thats why you get auto-injectors of atrophine and to-pam (spelling is wrong). NBC gear is only rated for 24 hours, so decon stations have to set up, depending on your force and the nature of the combat environment almost useless.
Pioneer
Post 10 Jul 2009, 22:41
No link for it, Fitzy. It's in ultra-pre-alpha mode as far as production goes (Me and some friends said "we should do this" and read some wiki pages on modding), so nothing as far as a site goes.

Pretty much, what they'd have to worry about would be fallout from a nuclear weapon in an urban environment. It would be Soviet vs. NATO forces, exclusively infantry (Programming and modeling infantry is tricky enough for a free mod, so we don't want to do armor). It's going to be fairly short, so I don't think the time limit would be much of a factor. However, I would like to know what those auto-injectors do for you. As far as the unfeasability of NBC combat, that's going to be more or less taken under artistic license.
[+-]
Politburo
Post 10 Jul 2009, 23:03
Tell me about the mod then. Maybe an outline?
Soviet cogitations: 3837
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 Jun 2006, 02:14
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Politburo
Post 11 Jul 2009, 01:01
Why half-life 2 and not Quake 3?
Look at Urban Terror http://www.urbanterror.net. This is a mod for quake 3 that also runs independently, so you don't have to have quake 3 installed.
Having an "off the shelf" game is much better than just a mod.

"Where Argentina goes, Latin America will go".
Leonid Brezhnev

Forum Rules
[+-]
Politburo
Post 11 Jul 2009, 03:32
I doubt it would be good enough to sell anways.

It would be possible to make a hl2 mod run independently, but valve would be pissed. But if you distribute it as a torrent, i dunno if they could do much against you.
Pioneer
Post 11 Jul 2009, 05:53
That's for your bid of confidence, Fitz

Anyway, it's pretty much based around a Soviet soldier if NATO and the Warsaw Pact started flinging nukes into Central Europe, East Berlin in particular. We're taking a liberty or two with some of the history and situations, but whatevs, right?

As for why we're using Source: A. We have most of the Source games and know our way around the engine as far as games go, as well as the capabilities of the engine, B. It's going to be a free mod. We're not gunning to make money off it, we just thought it'd be a lot of fun to make, C. We like the Source mod tools, as well as the pre-packaged AI for the engine.
[+-]
Politburo
Post 11 Jul 2009, 07:03
If you need help with concept art, i might be able to help.
Pioneer
Post 12 Jul 2009, 16:59
That would be great. When I get more concrete ideas on what's going to go in in the game, I'll be sure to drop you a line, Fitzy.
Soviet cogitations: 3711
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Jul 2006, 04:49
Ideology: Juche
Old Bolshevik
Post 13 Jul 2009, 01:33
You might be looking for something like this.

Quote:
The OP-1 Zashitnii Plash or chemical protective suit was developed in the late-1950's to replace the SK-01 field protective suit that had been used during the Patriotic War. The OP-1 was constructed out of impermeable rubberized fabric. It would prove to be easier to don when compared to the one piece coverall that it replaced. Furthermore, the suit also provided greater protection against 'dusty' agents such as certain types of mustard as well as the newer persistent nerve agents that were being deployed in the mid-1950's.

The chemical protective suit was used alongside the L-1 protective suit for the duration of the Cold War. Troops wearing the OP-1 were seen during the 1986 Chernobyl accident, during Warsaw Pact exercises in East Germany, and it was even seen on a few occasions in during the Soviet Intervention in Afghanistan.

Following the breakup of the Soviet Union the OP-1 continued to see service with the armies of many of the former Soviet republics. As of 2006 the OP-1 was still in active service as the most common form of protective clothing in the Russian army.
Soviet cogitations: 163
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 23 Jan 2009, 15:02
Pioneer
Post 13 Jul 2009, 05:07
Ok when I was in Kuwait waiting to "Liberate Iraq" we where trained for and expecting an intense Bio/Chemical campaign. We recieved the controversial Anthrax vaccine, in addtion to the vaccine we where given cipro ( do not know the correct speeling but cipro is the antiboitic to take if exposed to the agent) smallpox, and auto-injectors of tupam, atrophine, aswell as one injector of high powered valium. The autoinjectors worked liked this. in the event of exposer to chem/bio agents and MOPP gear proved ineffective or battle buddy succumed to agents inject one series of topam and atrophine (one injector each) wait something like a few minutes repeat process, after the third attempt inject with valium and medevac. On a sad note all of my units injectors had an expiration date of 1987 or in the rare case 1988. How about that.
Pioneer
Post 13 Jul 2009, 06:27
Misuzu: Yes! That's exactly what I've been looking for.

Smitty: Thanks for the information!
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 418
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 May 2009, 06:47
Komsomol
Post 18 Jul 2009, 15:52
why don't we add "thanks" function to this forum?
"Whatever may divide us, Europe is a common home, a common fate that has linked us for years, and it continues to link us today."
Leonid Brezhnev
Soviet cogitations: 2820
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Feb 2005, 02:51
Party Bureaucrat
Post 19 Jul 2009, 11:51
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.