Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

The reemergence of a Cold War

Soviet cogitations: 163
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 23 Jan 2009, 15:02
Pioneer
Post 09 Mar 2009, 03:36
It seems to me that Russia is reasserting herself as a dominate military power. America and NATO have been dictating policy to the world since the collapse of the Soviet Union. Russia is modernizing her military, could this lead to a new cold war? Furthermore in the near future could there rival Spheres of influence, perhaps an American/NAto sphere, a Russian Sphere, a China sphere, and possibly an Indian.
I will post some links tell me what you think.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20090305/120438860.html

http://www.mnweekly.ru/comment/20081114/55356778.html

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20090305/120443247.html

http://www.easybourse.com/bourse-actual ... ort-628308

http://www.upi.com/Security_Industry/20 ... 236350689/

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/libra ... osti01.htm
Soviet cogitations: 3711
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Jul 2006, 04:49
Ideology: Juche
Old Bolshevik
Post 09 Mar 2009, 04:34
Quote:
Furthermore in the near future could there rival Spheres of influence, perhaps an American/NAto sphere, a Russian Sphere, a China sphere, and possibly an Indian.

This is not the Near-Future. This is the present-day state of affairs. The Russian Sphere of Influence is very real, and the "Hyperpower Era" has ended. Look at what happened to Georgia when it tried to get out of the Russian Sphere. I also believe that a Eurosphere has/is emerging.
Soviet cogitations: 6887
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Nov 2007, 08:37
Unperson
Post 09 Mar 2009, 05:03
Russia wants recognition of Russian influence in the CIS states. The Georgian war was the ultimate pushing point. Now the west has backed off, and essentially recognized Russia's claim. That's about all there is to it. There are many indicators of this, including Azerbaijans pull out from the pipeline project that would bypass Russia, the Ukranian prime ministers shift from the pro-western camp into the pro-Russian camp, removal of the NATO airbase from Kyrgyzistan, lack of actual support of Saakashvili from the west, substantiation of the CSTO and EEC into real organizations rather then just vague diplomatic forums.... etc. etc. etc.
banistansig1
Pioneer
Post 10 Mar 2009, 04:36
First I want to say NATO and America shouldnt not be the only ones dictating policy. The conflict in Georgia proved loud and clear that America and NATO are not ready to confront the Russian bear. Even though it made me mad to see Russian troops towing away american hummers (sometimes alittle nationalist pride gets ahold of my emotions you serve six years in the military and tell me im wrong), it clearly showed America is not prepared to say "Look Russia Georgia is no longer your concern". It baffles me how NATO and the US will choose a side in a given conflict, the US and NATO clearly sided with the Bosians in the former Yugoslavia. Look at how the BSA and Nasser Oric conducted thereself. Its amazing how America can say so and so has a right to succeed from your union, and you must honor it. Let Texas try and to suceed from the the UNION and see how successfull they are. Im sick of the double standards, I welcome a stronger Russia, a strong India, and a strong Chinese sphere of influence aslong as it checks NATO and AMERican aggresion. The world needs to check Capitalist bullyism. THe world needs mulitple spheres of influence, although I doubt there would be a Eurosphere. I think that the EU, will still depend on NATO.
Unperson
Post 10 Mar 2009, 10:34
The EU already conducts military operations under the EU umbrealla, outside of NATO. The anti-piracy around Somalia is an example. But what makes you think Russia, or India, or China, will be any less capitalist or arbitrary?
banistansig1
Soviet cogitations: 4177
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Sep 2004, 16:21
Politburo
Post 10 Mar 2009, 14:19
Rather than a return to an ideologically-based Cold War, the current trend is towards a restoration of the 19th century Balance of Powers. And we all know how that ended....
"Comrade Lenin left us a great legacy, and we fucкed it up." - Josef Stalin
Soviet cogitations: 10808
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Dec 2004, 23:53
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 13 Mar 2009, 01:36
...the birth of the 1st state controlled by the workers?

"By what standard of morality can the violence used by a slave to break his chains be considered the same as the violence of a slave master?" - Walter Rodney
Pioneer
Post 14 Mar 2009, 03:02
I believe the EU acted because the UN passed a resoultion that basically said go ahead and destroy them. http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2008/sc9541.doc.htm
For instances the war in iraq, Spain sent troops, Germany sent troops to Kuwait in 03 for possible decon missons, Poland sent troops, I dont think that the EU could agree on any particular misson to be an effective force and enforce any type of policy.
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 14 Mar 2009, 10:18
Quote:
the current trend is towards a restoration of the 19th century Balance of Powers.

Are you serious? In the 19th century, the US were officially neutral and France still was a major power to be reckoned with.
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
Soviet cogitations: 4953
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Feb 2008, 15:25
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 14 Mar 2009, 10:48
Potemkin was referring to a restoration of the same kind of system, just with different players. Instead of their being a balance between The UK, France, Germany, US etc, it is now looking like Russia, U.S., China, India, Brazil, and probably EU.
Unperson
Post 15 Mar 2009, 23:59
Except that military France is still a major player. Well ahead of India and definetly competitive with China. Not economically, but definetly militarily.
banistansig1
Soviet cogitations: 9816
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Apr 2008, 03:25
Embalmed
Post 16 Mar 2009, 00:01
You really think that France can compete with China's military? Because China has the largest military and France doesn't really have a strong one. So I just don't really see them having an equal match.
Once capitalists know we can release the Kraken, they'll back down and obey our demands for sure.
_Comrade Gulper
Unperson
Post 16 Mar 2009, 00:05
Sure. But where can China deploy their giant military? They don't even have the reach to invade Taiwan and win. At least now at this time. France has a carrier, and the support assets, to sustain brigade level deployments overseas. So given that China and France have no borders, and are simply (hypothetically) military contesting for influence in Africa, France has a whole lot more in terms of reach then China.
banistansig1
Embalmed
Post 16 Mar 2009, 00:07
I was unaware that China had no reach. Well I guess that's what your here for then.
Once capitalists know we can release the Kraken, they'll back down and obey our demands for sure.
_Comrade Gulper
Politburo
Post 16 Mar 2009, 01:47
China has no reach is an oversimplification. It's military it sill in the process of modernisation, meaning that it is still working on the capability to deploy forces overseas effectively. Give it another 10-20 years, and in a hypothetical war, France would have no chance.
Embalmed
Post 16 Mar 2009, 01:59
But if a country were to invade China, China's army would most likely crush the enemy right?
_Comrade Gulper
Politburo
Post 16 Mar 2009, 02:06
The only countries that could attack China and have a good chance of winning at this point are the U.S. and possibly Russia. NATO could probably give it a run for it's money too.
Embalmed
Post 16 Mar 2009, 02:34
Well the US is part of NATO. And yes the US might stand a chance in China. Russia might be able to but they've got a military alliance now so I doubt they'd be doing any fighting.
_Comrade Gulper
Politburo
Post 16 Mar 2009, 02:47
Well the U.S. isn't going to be going into a war with China any time soon either... Not unless something really drastic happens. All China would need to do to screw the U.S. (and world) economy over is call in all the debt they've bought. In the event of high tensions leading to a war, the CPC might decide that there wouldn't be anything to lose by doing so.
Embalmed
Post 16 Mar 2009, 03:03
Yeah the US pretty much needs China right now so they wouldn't start a conflict.
_Comrade Gulper
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.