Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Soviet/Russian Military Equipment

Soviet cogitations: 43
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Jan 2009, 23:37
Pioneer
Post 12 Jan 2009, 01:08
When I was in high school field trip to a small aircraft museum, I happened to see a unusually huge biplane in a very small airfield. It was the An-2, a great representation of ruggedness in Soviet design philosophy. I love this aircraft.

Who else like An-2?
Soviet cogitations: 3711
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Jul 2006, 04:49
Ideology: Juche
Old Bolshevik
Post 12 Jan 2009, 04:39
It is one of my favourite aircraft. I like its elegance and versitility.
Soviet cogitations: 6887
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Nov 2007, 08:37
Unperson
Post 12 Jan 2009, 07:53
It's a nice little plane, simple, efficient. Problem is that they're so old and as far as I know out of production, that they really need a replacement. In the military sense they make decent short-range light transports for third world countries.
banistansig1
Soviet cogitations: 3711
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Jul 2006, 04:49
Ideology: Juche
Old Bolshevik
Post 12 Jan 2009, 08:08
Quote:
It's a nice little plane, simple, efficient. Problem is that they're so old and as far as I know out of production, that they really need a replacement.

Doesn't Poland still make them?
Unperson
Post 12 Jan 2009, 14:20
I don't think so. I found info on a modernization of it called the M-28 that's still produced by PZL, but no mention of the original.
banistansig1
Soviet cogitations: 280
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Oct 2007, 23:49
Ideology: Social Democracy
Komsomol
Post 17 Jan 2009, 04:32
Does anyone have any information on the Sukhoi 25 KM ( Skorpion )? Is Russia licensing this model as well or is it just Tiblisi Manufacturing?
Unperson
Post 17 Jan 2009, 04:47
The Su-25KM is a Israeli upgrade of the avionics and sensor suite of the Su-25 in Georgian service. The aircraft in question are the ones that were left over at the Tbilisi plant after the collapse of the USSR. Russia itself has a number of other upgrades for the Su-25, including the SM modernization (modernized Su-25SM took part in the Georgian war on the Russian side), T (iirc tank hunter), and Su-39 which is a derivative. However if I recall correctly it features airframe changes, making it incompatible with the basic model. There is also the TM model. There have recently been talks of resuming Su-25TM and UTM variants at the Ulan-Ude aviation plant.

EDIT: I don't think any of the program was done by Tbilisi. It was all Israeli firms. The modernization in question only involved modernization of avionics and sensors. I doubt the Tbilish plant is even capable of serial production at this point, given how long it's been since they've gotten any major orders.
banistansig1
Komsomol
Post 17 Jan 2009, 04:54
Isn't the KM/SM the one that includes a glass cockpit, upgraded instruments and fly by wire? Also, I thought for sure Elsbit or something, along with Tiblisi were making it.
Komsomol
Post 17 Jan 2009, 06:12
Anyone know anything conclusive about the cost, specifications and capabilities of the MiG 1.44/45 "Flatpack"?
Unperson
Post 17 Jan 2009, 10:30
The KM is an Israeli upgrade. The SM is a Russian upgrade designed by Sukhoi. It shares designation with the Su-27 modernization program, which is also known as the SM. I'm not sure if the SM involves FBW, I'm sure it involves a glass cockpit.
banistansig1
Unperson
Post 17 Jan 2009, 10:34
It's dead. It's over with. It will never again be ressurected. It had two test flights, after which the project was abandoned. Realistically it wasn't even a remote possibility. MiG didn't develop any of the necessary attributes of a 5th. generation fighter. It didn't have modern avionics, no AESA radar, the plasma stealth it was supposed to have didn't exist in working form on the prototype. It didn't have other signature management technologies (after all there is more then just radar to detect hostiles), and even a theoretical plasma cloud technology in front of the aircraft, would still leave it's RCS quite large from the sides and rear, meaning in penetration strikes it would be near useless. Iirc it didn't have a clean airframe with internal storage. The engines were nothing spectacular either. No modern EA or ECM suites were developed. No advanced sensor suites like the OLS on the MiG-35 currently, were developed (and even the OLS is a second-tier system compared to the EO-DAS on the F-35). It didn't have the processors or datasharing capabilities that make a 5th. generation fighter a capable ISR platform. Ultimately the technology wasn't there.
banistansig1
Komsomol
Post 17 Jan 2009, 16:27
Who edited my post? Its flat pack not frag. Thanks.

Also, that's too bad.
Unperson
Post 17 Jan 2009, 23:33
Not really. The project, if it was completed, would have been an over-rated mid 4th gen. fighter. The technology in Russia didn't exist at the time. Even the airframe was nothing spectacular.
banistansig1
Komsomol
Post 18 Jan 2009, 00:12
Quote:
Su-25KM
Georgian Su-25KM "Scorpion".

The SU-25KM (Kommercheskiy Modernizirovannyy), nicknamed "Scorpion", is an Su-25 upgrade programme announced in early 2001 by the original manufacturer, Tbilisi Aerospace Manufacturing in Georgia, in partnership with Elbit Systems of Israel. The prototype aircraft made its maiden flight on 18 April 2001 at Tbilisi in full Georgian Air Force markings.[33]

The aircraft uses a standard Su-25 airframe, enhanced with advanced avionics including a glass cockpit, digital map generator, helmet-mounted display, computerised weapons system, complete mission pre-plan capability, and fully redundant backup modes. Performance enhancements include a highly accurate navigation system, pinpoint weapon delivery systems, all-weather and day/night performance, NATO compatibility, state-of-the art safety and survivability features, and advanced onboard debriefing capabilities complying with international requirements.[33]

Straight from (yes, I know..) Wiki.
Unperson
Post 18 Jan 2009, 00:38
Ah. So I was wrong. TAM did manage to do the modernizing and associated overhauls domestically. But no mention of any FBW.
banistansig1
Komsomol
Post 18 Jan 2009, 05:06
Somebody have anything conclusive on how many Borei are being built, their specs and how many are in commission right now? I heard that one was launche in Feb. last year, but it's got no missiles for it yet.
Unperson
Post 18 Jan 2009, 06:40
Launched, meaning it was put on water. It's due to enter the Navy sometime this year. 1 is almost finished. 2 more are under construction due by 2011. Bulava missiles are planned for entry this year.
banistansig1
Komsomol
Post 18 Jan 2009, 06:46
Bulava?
Soviet cogitations: 282
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Oct 2006, 21:52
Komsomol
Post 18 Jan 2009, 12:07
It's a new submarine-launched ballistic missile which is still under development.
The special features of this missile are, that it can be launched "on the go" and is able to carry up to 10 MIRV warheads.

However, about five of the ten test launches were unsucsessful. (I could be wrong though)

Something from wikipedia:
Quote:
The Russian military developed Bulava to possess advanced defense capabilities making it nearly impervious to existing and future missile-defense systems. Among its claimed abilities are evasive maneuvering, mid-course countermeasures and decoys and a warhead fully shielded against both physical and Electromagnetic pulse damage. The Bulava is designed to be capable of surviving a nuclear blast at a minimum distance of 500 meters.[2] Prime minister Putin has stated that Bulava could penetrate any potential anti-missile defence system.
Unperson
Post 19 Jan 2009, 02:28
No, you're right. Iirc 5 failed completely 4 were partially successful and only one was fully successful. 5 more are scheduled for 2009.
banistansig1
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.