Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Stories from our great/granparents

Soviet cogitations: 158
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Jun 2005, 22:29
Pioneer
Post 20 Jun 2005, 10:00
Last edited by Camarada Grueso on 04 Jul 2008, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
Soviet cogitations: 2848
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Nov 2004, 20:31
Party Bureaucrat
Post 20 Jun 2005, 11:18
I have but one request.

No bullshit of any kind to this threads.
Pioneer
Post 20 Jun 2005, 11:25
I have something to say about that, I just tried to share the memory of my grandfather, if what he did to fight against fascism and to achieve what he believed in is bullshit to you, I don't have anything in common with you.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 20 Jun 2005, 14:51

You got me wrong.

When I said no bullshit I meant that I wouldnt want to see posts where someone would say something like this "frag Germans! They deserved to die! Nazi scum."
Last edited by Carius on 20 Jun 2005, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Pioneer
Post 20 Jun 2005, 18:01
Well so this is just my fault, I beg your pardon. And I have been sent a personal message explaining me what you meant, and I very much agree with your opinnion about not saying anything disgusting. In fact let me tell another thing that my grandfather told me, once when he was on a trench on the front and he stood up to look at the enemy lines, a nationalist soldier saw him and instead of just shooting him he shouted ¡agachate Rojete que te tiro! (which means more or less: get down you little red man or I'll have to shoot you!) after this he always says -you know it was a war between brothers.

Saludos y perdon otra vez.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 20 Jun 2005, 18:08
Quote:
once when he was on a trench on the front and he stood up to look at the enemy lines, a nationalist soldier saw him and instead of just shooting him he shouted ¡agachate Rojete que te tiro! (which means more or less: get down you little red man or I'll have to shoot you!) after this he always says -you know it was a war between brothers.

In civil wars, brothers fought against brothers and friends fought against friends.

We Finns have also experienced civil war.

My great grandfather fought in that war on the side of Whites. He didnt hate the Red soldiers he had to fight agaisnt; some of the soldiers could have been his friends.

Red soldiers.

White soldiers.

Soviet cogitations: 358
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 May 2005, 23:35
Unperson
Post 20 Jun 2005, 18:28
My grandfather most recently died. He joined the United States navy a little after the bombings of Pearl Harbour as a leftenant. He served his whole military career in the Pacific. He advanced through the ranks and reached captain eventually. He saw them soldiers in Iwo Jima posing, he fought in Midway, and a whole bunch of other lesser known ship and ship-to-land battles.

My great-grandmother's sister's son, however, was on the wrong side of the war. He was drafted into the German army against his will and was shot for retreating on the Russian Front. Although he isn't my grandfather, I honour his memory.
Soviet cogitations: 2775
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Sep 2004, 23:23
Party Bureaucrat
Post 20 Jun 2005, 23:25
Both my great-granparents lost limbs fighting for the Nazis on the eastern front in WWII. My grandpa remebers a Bf-109 crashing into his farm in Germany. He got his first clock out of the cockpit. My Granda was hiding in a cellar while the allies bombed her town.
Whoppee for Comrade Sergei.
Soviet cogitations: 2272
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2005, 13:28
Party Bureaucrat
Post 21 Jun 2005, 00:10
My grandmother from my fathers side who is now 87 years old was in finlands continuation war I think (not sure which never dared to ask, she lost close family on war) She was on lotta organistaion which helped on war jobs which womens could do like medical care and air watchs. My grandmother was at least on those air watchses. My granfather from my fathes side was also on the war as soldier and many of his friends on field died, but he survived uninjured. He is dead now. Well thats my family history on WW2.
-With solidarity, FC

Soviet cogitations: 10737
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Dec 2004, 23:53
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 22 Jun 2005, 19:37
My grandfather (fathers side) fought in WW2. He was the co-pilot in a B-24 Liberator. He recentaly passed away.

My grandfather (mothers side) fought in the Korean War (US side). Funny thing, he was an MP stationed in Iceland.

"By what standard of morality can the violence used by a slave to break his chains be considered the same as the violence of a slave master?" - Walter Rodney
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 1911
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Jun 2003, 23:38
Old Bolshevik
Post 22 Jun 2005, 23:02
my great grandfather was head of the engine room on HMS Bloemendaal, a dutch vessel. He sailed to englan together with a fleet of dutch naval vessels shortly (including the Queen) after the war began, when the dutch capitulated.
Pioneer
Post 22 Jun 2005, 23:11
That's it comrades, I am very much pleased to know about your relatives on WWII!!! thanks to all of you!!!

Saludos a todos
Philosophized
Post 23 Jun 2005, 15:42
My great grandfather fought for Germany in the Great War (WWI). He almost fought my other great grandfather who almost got drafted to the US side but didn't because he owned a dairy farm. Hurray for owning a dairy farm.

"By what standard of morality can the violence used by a slave to break his chains be considered the same as the violence of a slave master?" - Walter Rodney
Soviet cogitations: 4
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Nov 2005, 18:35
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 10 Nov 2005, 01:07
My grandfather (father side), was on the begining of the war, recruited to the Royal army, and soon captured with his uncle, and deported in german working camp in Sofia(Bulgaria), but on winter 1941. RAF bombarded camp and they escaped back to Serbia, where he joined Tito's Partisans.
At the end of war he joined OZNA (Odeljenje za zastitu naroda), or Partisans Sercet police, and after the war he was working in UDBA (also secret police of People's republic of Yugoslavia). After break-up with Stalin at the end of the 40's (because, Tito didn't want for Yugoslavia to be controled by USSR, like other Easter-european states, and then Stalin accused Tito for revisionism), there was danger from russian intervetion from Bulgaria and then he fought with spys and intruders on Yugoslavian-Bulgarian border. I've never met him, cause he died about 10 years before my birth.

My second grandfather (by mother side), who died last year, was on the beginig of the war at Royal Guard Military Academy in Belgrade, he saw King with his own eye s a couple of times. After capitulation, he joined to the Chetniks (royal resistans movement) for a few moths, but soon he was very disapointed (becouse the king proclaimed surrender), after that he joined the partisans (who didn't fight agains Germans before attack on Russia) (Hitler atacked Yugoslavia on 6th April , and Russia in June 1941). He had many medals, he fought on Adriatic coast , in Serbia, he was with division who conqured Trst, Italia, at the end of the war, and he was in great battle for Belgrade, with Partisans and Red Army, there he was wounded in his palm. After break-up with Stalin, he lost his job, because he was strogly pro-russian (they saved his life a few times, during the Battle for Belgrade), and his brother, for the same reason (he was pro-russian partisan too), was 3 years on Goli Otok (island in adriatic sea, Yugoslavian version of Gulag, for political prisoners). He had many interesting stories, but he dissapointed in Russia at the end of his life, becouse they didn't help us at last wars.
I'm very proud on my family history.
"Disco is back, and it still sucks."
Red Elvises
Soviet cogitations: 823
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 17 Dec 2004, 18:03
Komsomol
Post 10 Nov 2005, 04:46
My grandfather joined the United States Marine Corps shortly after Pearl Harbor even though he could have gotten a pass to serve because his family was rich and had political ties. Regardless he joined and after graduating Basic Training became a Drill Instructor then after doing that for a while he got the urge to do something a little psychotic I don't know how but he found out about the US Marines 2nd Raider Battalion and joined that after that its hard to track where he was but he was on islands such as: Guam, Guadalcanal, Okinawa and also was on the task force to land in Japan before they decided to drop the Atomic Bombs he then served on the occupation force of Japan. One of the stories that sticks out the most is they had two Navajo brothers in his unit and they were serving as codetalkers well one day on Guam one of the brothers was killed in a Japanese ambush the other brother became mad with grief and disappeared into the Jungle one day and they assumed he was dead but as they continued to patrol the island they began coming across scalped Japanese soldiers and they knew he was alive well until they left for the next island. What I love most about my grandfather is he didn't use his privledges to avoid serving he went against his parents will and joined up. I also liked how at first he was very racist of the Japanese but then latter he became to actually respect and felt honored to have faced them in combat and even envied their courage. He also told me about his standing orders for the invasion of Japan: They were to shoot everything that moved whether it be women, children, dogs, cats and rats. Thats the exact words of his commanind officer and my grandfather was quite relieved to hear about the surrender of Japan.

Sig Created by Comrade Babeuf
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 820
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Jan 2004, 20:37
Komsomol
Post 10 Nov 2005, 05:01
You guys are cute, my grandpas spent many years in jail during that time for saying bad things about the Allies.
Freedom is just Chaos, with better lighting.
---Alan Dean Foster

Soviet cogitations: 138
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Mar 2003, 16:57
Pioneer
Post 10 Nov 2005, 08:58
Oooh resurrected thread...

My grandfather was conscripted into the Royal Navy when war broke out, but when his racist officers discovered he was half-afrocaribbean, they had him transferred away to the Merchant Marine. He hated it enough to fake insanity and get a medical discharge, and he spent the rest of the war driving steam trains.

My mother lived in Northwest London as a child in the middle of the blitz... She remembers the nightly bombing, then later on the droning sound of V-1 buzzbombs and the random explosions of V-2 missiles. Once a V-1 landed on a house across the road from her, and the explosion blew the door off her own house.

A family legend was born during the war in the form of my great-great aunt, who upon hearing of the Pearl Harbor attack over the radio, switched it off and uttered the immortal words:

"Them Japansies is buggers".

Soviet cogitations: 2272
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2005, 13:28
Party Bureaucrat
Post 10 Nov 2005, 14:12
Well I asked my grandmother about what she did in continuation war, she told that there was Lotta aircraft reporting center in fort Suomen Linna and she was there radioing amount of aircraft and where they were coming.
-With solidarity, FC

Philosophized
Post 10 Nov 2005, 14:24
My grandfather (moms side) trided to volunteer for WW2 to get out of going to school (it was a Catholic school). But there was a problem with his last name (his father changed his last name but none of his kids) and he didn't go to WW2. It was a good thing too, because the Marine unit he would of joined was completly annilated by the Japanses (forget which battle).

Soviet cogitations: 925
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 Mar 2004, 17:55
Komsomol
Post 11 Nov 2005, 17:18
My great-grandfather was born in 1913. Upon leaving school he took a variety of jobs, due to his illetaricy. In the late 30s he decided to enroll in the Artillery School near Sliven, Bulgaria, in order to get some financial stability.

He served as a gunner with an artillery division of the 1st Bulgarian Army. He wasn't part of the occuping forces that the Bulgarians sent to Thrace and the White Sea, as, despite being patriotic, he was a believer in the pan-Balkan Federation as envisioned by Rakovski in the end of the 19th century and didn't believe in fighting Greeks and Serbians - anyway, his unit was not stationed on duty.

After the 9th of September 1944, the 1st Bulgarian Army was put into action against the Germans. He fought in the fights that forced Army Group E out of Skopje on the 13th-16th November of the same year, and fougth in Macedonia with the army. The 1st Bulgarian Army was re-deployed to the fighting in Hungary during the late 1944. He fought at the fierce siege of Budapest, and on the 29th March, 1945 he was wounded when the Bulgarian 1st and Soviet 57th Armies attacked the 2nd Panzer Army when his artillery piece was hit by counter-battery fire of the Germans. A shell exploded near the howitzer and a piece of dislodged metal hit him in the right hand. The wound was serious, apparently, and he was whisked off to battlefield hospital. Due to risk of blood poisoning he was sent to Bulgaria for proper treatment - so his war ended on the 29th March, 1945.

On the other side of my family, my grandad and uncle are both officers - but thank god they don't have war stories, as that would have meant that me and you would not be sitting here! (they were officers in the 50s-80s)
-"One of the lasses I know is a 32D...yes, I'm a horny, unsuccessful virgin." - LPC reveals all on MSN
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.