Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Americans with the NVA/Vietcong?

Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 15 Nov 2012, 12:10
I'm interested in whether there have been desertions from the US army to the Vietnamese Communist forces during the long war there.
The Americans had a huge number of soldiers in Vietnam and i guess there could have been a dozen or two communists among them.

Also, did Soviet and other soldiers and/or volunteers participate in actual combat against the Americans in Vietnam?
Soviet cogitations: 2051
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Jun 2011, 08:37
Party Bureaucrat
Post 15 Nov 2012, 14:53
As far as the latter question, there were soviet advisors and pilots, to my knowledge, as in Korea. It was a rather "public secret" as the US and USSR couldn't admit they were firing on each others pilots.
Soviet America is Free America!

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 3618
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 Oct 2004, 15:15
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Politburo
Post 18 Nov 2012, 00:03
Why, Jane Fonda personally fired AA guns and tortured POWs, didn't you know?

Anyway, these things are apparently extremely rare. There is the case of Bobby Garwood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Garwood), but I'd hardly count that. Desertion was rampant, there was fragging, etc. But going over to the other side and shooting at the people who were your fellow soldiers just before is a different thing altogether.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.