Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Democratic Republic of Afghanistan

Soviet cogitations: 2
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 Mar 2015, 08:03
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 09 Mar 2015, 08:29
Comrades!
I hail from Afghanistan, I assure that the Yankees are supporting terrorism in the shape of taliban and they are funding both sides of war, not even a single building collapsed during the soviet intervention and only terrorists (ashrar) were killed and they should have been, but our new generation has learned the mistakes and I assure you will change our country's fate.
Long Live the Democratic Parties of Khalq and Parcham, Death to the Ashrar, Yankees and Pakis.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety - Benjamin Franklin
Soviet cogitations: 108
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Feb 2014, 12:33
Pioneer
Post 11 Mar 2015, 08:16
You're being modest; thousands of buildings collapsed during communist rule, but main cities, such as Kabul, were entirely safe since they were turned into military garrisons of sorts. Of course, I'd agree, much better to have communists running the place then the present Fraggers.
Soviet cogitations: 260
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Dec 2011, 00:54
Komsomol
Post 19 Mar 2015, 20:28
It's a shame Afghanistan did not become an SSR.
A lot more Might would have been brought to bear for an "Internal Pacification".

A participatory Expansion of the USSR in the 70's could have been just what was needed to boost Idealogical Enthusiasm and counter the Malaise of the 80's.
"A shiny bauble from Capitalism is worthless when the cost is Children & the Elderly going hungry, The Infirm & Sick dying because of Greed & Education reduced to a token few to placate the masses with Illusions of freedom."
Soviet cogitations: 672
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Mar 2011, 14:10
Komsomol
Post 23 Mar 2015, 11:27
omnimercurial wrote:
It's a shame Afghanistan did not become an SSR.
A lot more Might would have been brought to bear for an "Internal Pacification".

A participatory Expansion of the USSR in the 70's could have been just what was needed to boost Idealogical Enthusiasm and counter the Malaise of the 80's.
I don't see how Afghanistan joining the USSR would "boost ideological enthusiasm," much less help the Soviets in defeating the Mujahideen. The Bulgarian leadership in the 1960s and 70s actually voluntarily asked the Soviets if Bulgaria could become a SSR, Bulgaria being a country with hundreds of years of close ties with Russia, and the Soviet leaders still said no because there was no reason to do so.
Soviet cogitations: 260
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Dec 2011, 00:54
Komsomol
Post 22 Apr 2015, 03:27
The Party and the People do not always see things the same way.
If Citizens knew their Union was growing and strengthening it could be something to take pride in.
A visible bench mark to counter the Stagnation that seeped in.
The Soviets did not defeat the Mujahideen for many reasons but one of them was the piecemeal efforts and the slowness to act while placing restrictions on force present.
The USSR only increased forces after embarrassing setbacks and losses but if a greater force had been sent in at once then I think outcomes may have been different.

As to Bulgaria a lost opportunity I feel but just my opinion I guess.
"A shiny bauble from Capitalism is worthless when the cost is Children & the Elderly going hungry, The Infirm & Sick dying because of Greed & Education reduced to a token few to placate the masses with Illusions of freedom."
Soviet cogitations: 672
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Mar 2011, 14:10
Komsomol
Post 30 Apr 2015, 07:16
omnimercurial wrote:
The Party and the People do not always see things the same way.
If Citizens knew their Union was growing and strengthening it could be something to take pride in.
A visible bench mark to counter the Stagnation that seeped in.
I don't see how adding an incredibly backward country in the middle of a civil war to the USSR would suddenly make the average Soviet citizen proud. If anything it would make them very angry that the Soviet government made such a stupid decision with profound economic and military (let alone diplomatic) costs for seemingly no reason.

Quote:
The Soviets did not defeat the Mujahideen for many reasons but one of them was the piecemeal efforts and the slowness to act while placing restrictions on force present.
The USSR only increased forces after embarrassing setbacks and losses but if a greater force had been sent in at once then I think outcomes may have been different.
Gorbachev actually intensified military operations in Afghanistan under the logic that if new and more determined efforts weren't sufficient, and if an agreement with the USA to stop arming the Mujahideen couldn't be reached, then Afghanistan was a lost cause.

Unless you think the Soviet Army should have committed outright war crimes and acts of genocide (it was already being accused of bombing villages and carrying out unwarranted acts of violence), I don't see how "more force" would have solved anything.
Soviet cogitations: 25
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Apr 2014, 19:04
Pioneer
Post 21 May 2016, 13:22
I could not make any other appropriate Afghanistan, or A-stan in the jargon used more and more today, thread so I find fitting to post here.

I wanted to attach a book Revolutionary Afghanistan (author Beverley Male) in pdf format but can not do it - can't find any attach or similar icon / button.

Any way it is available on marxist.org I think and elsewhere on the web should have no problems finding it.

While for me the book is informative, well researched with lots of sources cited and so on this is in no way endorsement basically because I have not enough knowledge or expertise on Afghan matters to judge for myself.

In addition there are no other works by this Beverley Male except Revolutionary Afghanistan. A reappraisal (BTW could someone find a and attach a PDF of it, I could not find a copy 'floating' anywhere on the net). So who was Beverley Male or was it a pen name to hide under for someone?

In short what do you make of this and who was the author?
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.