Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

This Day In History:

Soviet cogitations: 1201
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 May 2008, 14:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Forum Commissar
Post 06 Dec 2010, 00:17
Which is generally why most people can't name most of the presidents between (Quincy) Adams and Lincoln.

Interestingly enough, van Buren was the first US President to be born in the US. We didn't bring our A-Game for the whole national superiority thing.

Forum Rules

Red_Son: Bob Avakian is the Glenn Beck of communism.
"Le prolétariat; c'est moi." - King Indigo XIV
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 6475
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Sep 2005, 13:48
Embalmed
Post 06 Dec 2010, 02:34
Staying on my IRA kick, on this day 6 December 1975, members of the IRA unit, who had been carrying out bomb attacks in London, were caught firing into a restaurant they had bombed the previous week, which resulted in a police chase.

The IRA members eventually took refuge in a flat, taking its two occupants hostage, and this led to the Balcombe Street Siege.
Now what is this…
Soviet cogitations: 9816
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Apr 2008, 03:25
Embalmed
Post 06 Dec 2010, 02:40
Indigo wrote:
most people can't name most of the presidents between (Quincy) Adams and Lincoln.

After Quincy Adams it goes Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Filmore, Pierce, Buchanan, and then Lincoln. I did not look that up btw. Speaking of Van Buren beware the Van Buren Boys.
Once capitalists know we can release the Kraken, they'll back down and obey our demands for sure.
_Comrade Gulper
Forum Commissar
Post 06 Dec 2010, 19:53
December 6th

1957- The International Brotherhood of Teamsters is expelled from the AFL-CIO
1973- Gerald Ford is sworn in as Vice President following the resignation of Spiro Agnew
1998- Hugo Chavez is elected president of Venezuela

Also the 90th birthday of one of my favorite Jazz artists, Dave Brubeck.

thekraken wrote:
After Quincy Adams it goes Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Filmore, Pierce, Buchanan, and then Lincoln.

That's pretty good. You even prevented getting Tyler and Taylor mixed up. I'll take you at your word that you didn't look it up. For a bonus point, which Harrison was it?

thekraken wrote:
beware the Van Buren Boys.

I feel somewhat embarassed that I got this reference.

Forum Rules

Soviet cogitations: 4779
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2010, 07:43
Politburo
Post 06 Dec 2010, 19:54
December 6

1240 - Kiev falls to the Mongol invasion. Some modern-day Ukrainian nationalists continue to bitch about this and previous campaigns carried out by Mongolians for leading to "oriental despotism" in Russia and for allowing Muscovy to become a center of power.
1865 – The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified, banning slavery.
1941 – World War II: The United Kingdom declares war on Finland in support of the Soviet Union.
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
Embalmed
Post 06 Dec 2010, 20:02
Indigo wrote:
which Harrison was it?

William Henry Harrison. He died like 30 or 40 days after taking office.

Indigo wrote:

I feel somewhat embarassed that I got this reference.

I wasn't sure if anyone would so good job.
Once capitalists know we can release the Kraken, they'll back down and obey our demands for sure.
_Comrade Gulper
Soviet cogitations: 12389
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Apr 2010, 04:44
Ideology: None
Philosophized
Post 06 Dec 2010, 20:04
I'm not going to say anything about the Ukraine, for fear of starting a shit storm. But let's just say, two separate nations were not created by a foreign invasion.

The thing about the era of "caretaker" Presidents was that they were conservative proponents of laissez faire, "hands off" government, or were consumed with the will-not-die slavery issue. The boom and bust cycle of capitalism established itself with minor depressions, though the major horrors were waiting in the post-Civil War era. And the power of the Robber Barons, America's equivalent of the modern Russian oligarchs, grew by leaps and bounds.
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Forum Commissar
Post 06 Dec 2010, 20:33
Komissar_KW wrote:
1865 – The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified, banning slavery.

You would think that, being one of like two black people on this forum, I would have caught that one.

thekraken wrote:
William Henry Harrison. He died like 30 or 40 days after taking office.

32 days I believe. I'll have to spend some time thinking of your prize.

Order227 wrote:
The thing about the era of "caretaker" Presidents was that they were conservative proponents of laissez faire, "hands off" government, or were consumed with the will-not-die slavery issue. The boom and bust cycle of capitalism established itself with minor depressions, though the major horrors were waiting in the post-Civil War era. And the power of the Robber Barons, America's equivalent of the modern Russian oligarchs, grew by leaps and bounds.

A lot of this had to do with the influence of the Anti-Federalists of the Democratic Party who were popular after Adams left office. A few did see the annexation of territories during their tenure but domestically, their presidencies weren't all that eventful. Those who took office right before Lincoln are the culmination of this, having done virtually nothing effective to stem the tide of civil war.

Forum Rules

Soviet cogitations: 3829
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 Jun 2006, 02:14
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Politburo
Post 06 Dec 2010, 22:26
Quote:

1865!!! Better late than never, eh? We did that in 1813

"Where Argentina goes, Latin America will go".
Leonid Brezhnev

Forum Rules
Embalmed
Post 06 Dec 2010, 22:35
It should be common knowledge that the US was the last western country to ban slavery.
_Comrade Gulper
Forum Commissar
Post 07 Dec 2010, 17:44
December 7th

1941- "A day that will live in infamy". The attack on Pearl Harbor.
1787- The US Constitution is ratified by the first state (Delaware).
1982- The first execution by lethal injection ever done in the US is carried out in, you guessed it, Texas.
1987- Mikhail Gorbachev meets with Ronald Reagan in the US.
2004- Hamid Karzai is sworn in as President of Afghanistan.

Forum Rules

Philosophized
Post 07 Dec 2010, 20:02
Comedian Ron White: "You come to Texas and kill some one, we kill you back! Other states are banning executions. My state's putting in an express lane!"
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Soviet cogitations: 117
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Nov 2010, 07:17
Pioneer
Post 08 Dec 2010, 06:52
Quote:
Comedian Ron White: "You come to Texas and kill some one, we kill you back! Other states are banning executions. My state's putting in an express lane!"

lol
Whenever death may surprise us, let it be welcome if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.
-Che Guevara
Embalmed
Post 08 Dec 2010, 17:21
1943-James Douglass Morrison is born.

1980-John Lennon is murdered.
_Comrade Gulper
Politburo
Post 08 Dec 2010, 17:37
December 8

1941 - FDR delivers his speech declaring December 7 to be "a date which will live in infamy", and the United States and China both officially declare war on Japan and the Axis.
1991 – The leaders of Russia, Belarus and Ukraine sign an agreement to dissolve the Soviet Union and establish the Commonwealth of Independent States.
2004 – The Cuzco Declaration is signed in Cuzco, Peru, establishing the Union of South American Nations.
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
Forum Commissar
Post 08 Dec 2010, 18:14
December 8th

1776- Washington's Army crosses the Delaware
1854- The Catholic Church officially proclaims the doctrine of Immaculate Conception
1886- The AFL is founded in Columbus, Ohio
1993- NAFTA is signed into law

And 20 years ago today, my parents were married.

Forum Rules

Philosophized
Post 09 Dec 2010, 02:07
Mazeltov to Indigo's folks!

As for Immaculate Conception, there's another reason the East is superior to the barbarous West.

And I didn't know it took until December 1941 for China to officially declare war on Japan. Was the US the first official ally China had against the Japanese?
Politburo
Post 09 Dec 2010, 03:16
There's a pretty expansive timeline of countries and their declarations of war at this website: http://worldatwar.net/timeline/other/di ... 39-45.html

Also, China's declaration of war came on December 8 but didn't technically become official until the clock struck midnight on December 9, though it was still December 8 in the US and Europe.

Quote:
December 7
- Japan declares war on the United States of America, Great Britain, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the Union of South Africa.
- Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand declare war on Finland, Hungary and Romania.
- Canada declares war on Finland, Hungary, Japan and Romania.
- Panama declares war on Japan.
- Greece breaks diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Nicaragua breaks diplomatic relations with Vichy France.
- Norway breaks relations with Finland.
- Yugoslavia at war with Japan.

December 8
- The United States of America, Great Britain, Australia, Costa Rica, The Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, The Netherlands, New Zealand and Nicaragua declare war on Japan.
- The Union of South Africa declares war on Finland, Hungary, Japan and Romania.
- Belgium, Colombia and Mexico break diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Free French National Council declares war on Germany.
- Manchukuo declares war on the United States.

But yeah, before December 1941, the Second Sino-Japanese War was pretty much an undeclared conflict.
Philosophized
Post 09 Dec 2010, 03:19
What a feeling it must be to be sitting in the Presidential Chambers watching the ticker tape roll off the list of countries you're now at war with. "Fragging Belize?! How did we piss them off??!!"
Forum Commissar
Post 09 Dec 2010, 18:42
December 9th

1958- The John Birch society is founded in Indianapolis. For those who don't know: http://www.jbs.org/
1990- Lech Walesa is elected president of Poland
1992- Prince Charles and Diana make their separation known to the public.

And today John Milton and Donny Osmond were born.

Forum Rules

Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.