Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

This Day In History:

Soviet cogitations: 4779
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2010, 07:43
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 27 Nov 2010, 23:27
November 27

1095 - Pope Urban II proclaims First Crusade.

1978 - Assassination of San Francisco mayor George Moscone and openly gay supervisor Harvey Milk.
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 27 Nov 2010, 23:37
inb4: November 28, war begins between the US and the DPRK >_<
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 61
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Nov 2010, 03:59
Pioneer
Post 28 Nov 2010, 02:46
1895 - Alfred Nobel signed his last will, which established the Nobel Prize.
Soviet cogitations: 117
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Nov 2010, 07:17
Pioneer
Post 28 Nov 2010, 18:45
November 28th

1987 – South African Airways flight 295 crashes into the Indian Ocean, killing all 159 people on-board. Conspiracy theorists believe the inflight fire that doomed the Boeing 747 may have been caused by weapons smuggling. SAA aircraft were notorious for smuggling weapons to South Africa during the Apartheid years.

1989 – Cold War: Velvet Revolution – In the face of protests, the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia announces it will give up its monopoly on political power.
Whenever death may surprise us, let it be welcome if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.
-Che Guevara
[+-]
Pioneer
Post 29 Nov 2010, 05:13
November 28:

1943 – The second session of AVNOJ, the Anti-fascist council of national liberation of Yugoslavia, is held in Jajce, Bosnia and Herzegovina, determining the post-war ordering of the country.

1944 – Albania is liberated by the Albanian partisans

1945 – The Federal People's Republic of Yugoslavia is declared.

1950 – Korean War: North Korean and Chinese troops force United Nations forces to retreat from North Korea.
Politburo
Post 29 Nov 2010, 05:21
Quote:
1950 – Korean War: North Korean and Chinese troops force United Nations forces to retreat from North Korea.

Oh, man, I totally did not think about (or even realise) that. One more reason why it would have been rather hilarious (in a twisted way) had the recent DPRK-South Korean tensions led to a war, and then the Chinese intervene again (which they probably would).
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 29 Nov 2010, 15:26
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
Politburo
Post 29 Nov 2010, 16:16
November 29

1830 - Beginning of Polish uprising against Russian Rule in the failed November Uprising.

Also, Spets' post should say November 29.

Quote:
The DPRK can still attack.

True. I just thought it would be funny if the war started on the same day that DPRK & Chinese forces drove the US-led UN forces out of the country 60 years ago and led to a Chinese intervention again.
Pioneer
Post 01 Dec 2010, 08:25
December 1

1986 - I was born in the greatest country on earth to a loving father and mother, and recieved the most honored title in the world, United States Citizen.

1989 - For my third birthday, the German Democratic Republic's parliament gave me a wonderful present, they abolished the constitutional provision granting the communist party the leading role in the state. Seeing democracy prevail on your birthday is always fun.
1991 – For my fifth birthday, the Ukrainian people gave me another wonderful gift. On this day Ukrainian voters overwhelmingly approved a referendum for independence from the Soviet Union. Having the Soviet Union collapse on your birthday is always fun.
2010 - For my 24th birthday, I go to work, then I get my ass kicked in Krav Maga class, and then I finish off the night drinking with friends.

Its been a good 24 years, here is to the next 60. Cheers.
Whenever death may surprise us, let it be welcome if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.
-Che Guevara
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Ideology: None
Forum Commissar
Post 01 Dec 2010, 08:56
Harry Palmer wrote:
1986 - I was born in the greatest country on earth to a loving father and mother, and recieved the most honored title in the world, United States Citizen.
Happy Birthday Harry.

Aren't you a little young to be so enthusiastic about your homeland?
Politburo
Post 01 Dec 2010, 09:02
Happy birthday, Harry. Sounds like you had fun.

December 1

1766 - Birth of Russian writer and historian Nikolai Karamzin
1855 - Tsar Alexander I of Russia dies
1896 - Birth of Russian general and Marshal of the Soviet Union Georgy Zhukov (frak yeah!)
1918 - The State of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs (aka Kingdom of Yugoslavia) is proclaimed.
1934 - Assassination of Sergei Kirov outside of the Leningrad Communist Party headquarters.
1955 - African-American woman Rosa Parks is arrested for refusing to give up her seat on a bus to a white man.
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Ideology: None
Forum Commissar
Post 01 Dec 2010, 09:11
Komissar_KW wrote:
1934 - Assassination of Sergei Kirov outside of the Leningrad Communist Party headquarters.
Aaah the infamous Kirov Assassination. The event which set the ball rolling for the Purges. What do people think of the claim made by Khrushchev and numerous others that Uncle Joe was behind it? It certainly looks pretty suspicious to me.
Politburo
Post 01 Dec 2010, 09:28
A former history student at my university, now a graduate student, is actually doing some research into that.
Things like this always lead to too many conspiracy theories. Leonid Nikolaev, the assassin, had been once held in custody by the NKVD after being caught with a firearm in his briefcase, supposedly, but he was released and allowed to keep his gun. Certain things, like the fact that Nikolaev was allowed to go despite being caught with a loaded revolver, the loosening of security, and the seemingly accidental death of someone on the security detail on that night shortly after, certainly do lead credibility to ideas of a planned operation, or at least, that the NKVD knew about the guy wanting to kill Kirov when they first caught him but did nothing to stop it. I've also heard things like how the guy who did it was jealous of Kirov, and he might have suspected an affair between the assassin's wife and Kirov. Then after he carried out the killing, the state saw the opportunity to crack down on potential opposition, or maybe the Party, or just Stalin himself, was genuinely shaken. It could have been more like the Reichstag Fire—not planned by the authorities, but which the authorities seized as an opportunity. Who knows?
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 01 Dec 2010, 12:45
Quote:
1991 – For my fifth birthday, the Ukrainian people gave me another wonderful gift. On this day Ukrainian voters overwhelmingly approved a referendum for independence from the Soviet Union. Having the Soviet Union collapse on your birthday is always fun.

Yes,a beautiful gift indeed.
All that Ukraine got from the collapse of Soviet Union was corruption,crime,AIDS,despair,prostitution,alcoholism, several million unnatural deaths and a demographic catastrophe.
Soviet cogitations: 251
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Nov 2010, 13:37
Komsomol
Post 01 Dec 2010, 13:01
Comrade Komissar, do you have a link or complete profile about Zaporozhets (chief of Leningrad NKVD) whom released Leonid Nikolaev after caught by the NKVD at the first time? It seems he was the 'idle hand' behind Kirov's assassination, I'm only found very few information about him, thanks for your help
Inggris Kita Linggis, Amerika Kita Setrika ! -Sukarno-
Politburo
Post 01 Dec 2010, 15:52
Sorry, I only remember reading about it on Wikipedia, by searching for Sergei Kirov and Leonid Nikolaev.
[+-]
Pioneer
Post 01 Dec 2010, 19:23
December 1:

1834 – Slavery is abolished in the Cape Colony in accordance with the Slavery Abolition Act 1833.
1864 – In his State of the Union Address President Abraham Lincoln reaffirms the necessity of ending slavery as ordered ten weeks earlier in the Emancipation Proclamation.
1955 – American Civil Rights Movement: In Montgomery, Alabama, seamstress Rosa Parks refuses to give up her bus seat to a white man and is arrested for violating the city's racial segregation laws, an incident which leads to the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
Pioneer
Post 02 Dec 2010, 00:47
Quote:
Aren't you a little young to be so enthusiastic about your homeland?

You are never to young to be proud of your homeland. Why wouldn't I be proud, my family helped build this country and this country has given my family so much.
-Che Guevara
Soviet cogitations: 1201
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 May 2008, 14:59
Forum Commissar
Post 02 Dec 2010, 15:41
December 2nd

1954- The Senate votes 67-22 to condemn the actions of Senator Joseph McCarthy
1804- Napoleon names himself the First Emperor of the French
1823- The Monroe Doctrine is declared
1961- Cuban leader Fidel Castro declares himself a Marxist and promises to lead Cuba to revolution.
2001- Enron files for bankruptcy

Forum Rules

Red_Son: Bob Avakian is the Glenn Beck of communism.
"Le prolétariat; c'est moi." - King Indigo XIV
Soviet cogitations: 9816
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Apr 2008, 03:25
Embalmed
Post 02 Dec 2010, 16:51
Indigo wrote:
1961- Cuban leader Fidel Castro declares himself a Marxist and promises to lead Cuba to revolution.

Umm are you sure you got that right? The Revolution ended in 1959. Castro had already established himself as leader of Cuba by 1961, in fact that was the year of the Bay of Pigs.
Once capitalists know we can release the Kraken, they'll back down and obey our demands for sure.
_Comrade Gulper
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.