Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

This Day In History:

Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 26 Jun 2010, 02:25
I wouldn't call myself a nationalist.
I don't think Croatians are somehow better than the rest of ex-Yu peoples.I believe in friendship among Croats-Serbs-Slovenians etc.A true friendship,once all extremism dies out.
I used the example just to show how the concept of patriotism was appreciated in the Soviet Union,and being a Soviet patriot entails love for your country of course(SSSR) but your "homeland" too(Russia or Armenia or whatever).

Edit:Excerpt from lyrics of Soviet war-time song Pod zvezdami balkanskimi) / Under the stars of Balkans

Mnogo verst v pokhodakh projdeno
Po zemle i po vode,
No Sovetskoj nashej Rodiny
Ne zabyli my nigde!

I pod zvezdami Balkanskimi
Vspominaem nesprosta
Iaroslavskie, riazanskie
Da smolenskie mesta.

Vspominaem ochi karie,
Tikhij govor, zvonkij smekh
Khorosha strana Bolgariia,
A Rossiia luchshe vsekh!
Last edited by Loz on 26 Jun 2010, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Soviet cogitations: 12389
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Apr 2010, 04:44
Ideology: None
Philosophized
Post 26 Jun 2010, 03:05
I'm surprised no one has noted it's now been one full year since we lost Wacko Jacko.
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Soviet cogitations: 14448
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Sep 2006, 22:05
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 26 Jun 2010, 03:08
Because we don't care? I remember sitting around waiting for a movie and first seeing the MJ movie preview, and all I could keep thinking is "Did you guys forget he was a pedophile?".
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 1782
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2009, 20:08
Resident Artist
Post 26 Jun 2010, 16:09
June 26

1848 – End of the June Days Uprising in Paris.

1940 – World War II: under the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, the Soviet Union presents an ultimatum to Romania requiring it to cede Bessarabia and the northern part of Bukovina.

1948 – The Western allies begin an airlift to Berlin after the Soviet Union blockades West Berlin.

1953 – Lavrentiy Beria,head of MVD, was arrested by Nikita Khrushchev and other members of the Politburo.

1963 – John F. Kennedy speaks the famous words "Ich bin ein Berliner" on a visit to West Berlin.
Soviet cogitations: 9816
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Apr 2008, 03:25
Embalmed
Post 28 Jun 2010, 01:01
Dagoth Ur wrote:
Because we don't care?

This. I suppose some of his music was alright but I'm not much of a fan and I don't care for him as a person at all.
Once capitalists know we can release the Kraken, they'll back down and obey our demands for sure.
_Comrade Gulper
Philosophized
Post 28 Jun 2010, 02:29
Of course as an "artist", he was anything but. Still, his decadent antics amused me from time to time, although I agree, death was probably best for him in the end. I just can't imagine where the train would have wrecked next.
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Soviet cogitations: 4764
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 20 Jul 2007, 06:59
Forum Commissar
Post 28 Jun 2010, 19:42
June 28: Moldova is holding it's first "Soviet Occupation" remembrance. It's controvertial, to say the least.

Also, it's been one year since Honduran president Manuel Zelaya was deposed in a military coup.

"You say you have no enemies? How is this so? Have you never spoken the truth, never loved justice?" - Santiago Ramón y Cajal
Forum Rules
Soviet cogitations: 4779
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2010, 07:43
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 04 Jul 2010, 21:31
4 July - "We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"

AMERICA!

(Quote from that really awful movie Independence Day.)
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 11 Jul 2010, 18:40
Srebrenica massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srebrenica_genocide

Quote:
The Srebrenica Massacre, also known as the Srebrenica Genocide, refers to the July 1995 killing of more than 8,000 Muslim Bosniak men and boys, as well as the ethnic cleansing of 25,000–30,000 refugees in the area of Srebrenica in Bosnia and Herzegovina, by units of the Army of Republika Srpska (VRS) under the command of General Ratko Mladić during the Bosnian War. A paramilitary unit from Serbia known as the Scorpions, officially part of the Serbian Interior Ministry until 1991, also participated in the massacre.[8][9] In 1993 the United Nations had declared Srebrenica a "safe area" under UN protection but its Protection Force (UNPROFOR), represented on the ground by a 400-strong contingent of armed Dutch peacekeepers, failed to prevent the massacre.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 148
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Feb 2009, 16:56
Pioneer
Post 19 Jul 2010, 11:09
19 july of 1979

¡ Viva Nicaragua libre !
Soviet cogitations: 2848
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Nov 2004, 20:31
Party Bureaucrat
Post 20 Jul 2010, 20:12
July 20 1944.

Assassination attempt on Adolf Hitler spearheaded by Claus von Stauffenberg with attempt by Wehrmacht to arrest Nazi government.
[+-]
Resident Artist
Post 21 Jul 2010, 15:39
July 21

1877 – After rioting by Baltimore and Ohio Railroad workers and the deaths of nine rail workers at the hands of the Maryland militia, workers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania stage a sympathy strike that is met with an assault by the state militia.

1944 – World War II: Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg and fellow conspirators are executed in Berlin, Germany for the July 20 plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler.

1949 – The United States Senate ratifies the North Atlantic Treaty.

1969 – Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin become the first men to walk on the Moon, during the Apollo 11 mission.

1983 – The world's lowest temperature is recorded at Vostok Station, Antarctica at −89.2 °C (−129 °F).
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Forum Commissar
Post 19 Aug 2010, 07:31
August 19 - 21, 1991
Soviet coup d'état attempt (as described by Wiki)

Wiki wrote:
The 1991 Soviet coup d'état attempt (August 19–21, 1991), also known as the August Putsch or August Coup (Russian: Августовский путч, Translit: Avgustovskiy Putch), was an attempt by a group of members of the Soviet Union's government to take control of the country from Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev. The coup leaders were hard-line members of the Communist Party (CPSU) who felt that Gorbachev's reform program had gone too far and that a new union treaty that he had negotiated dispersed too much of the central government's power to the republics. Although the coup collapsed in only two days and Gorbachev returned to government, the event destabilised the Soviet Union and is widely considered to have helped in bringing about both the demise of the Communist Party and the collapse of the Soviet Union.

On War wrote:
Gorbachev hoped that he could at least hold the union together in a decentralized form. However, in the eyes of the remaining CPSU conservatives, he had gone too far because his new union treaty dispersed too much of the central government's power to the republics. On August 19, 1991, one day before Gorbachev and a group of republic leaders were due to sign the union treaty, a group calling itself the State Emergency Committee attempted to seize power in Moscow. The group announced that Gorbachev was ill and had been relieved of his state post as president. Soviet Union vice president Gennadiy Yanayev was named acting president. The committee's eight members included KGB chairman Vladimir Kryuchkov, Internal Affairs Minister Pugo, Defense Minister Dmitriy Yazov, and Prime Minister Pavlov, all of whom had risen to their posts under Gorbachev....
On August 21, the coup collapsed, and Gorbachev returned to Moscow...
...Yeltsin took control of the central broadcasting company and key economic ministries and agencies, and in November he banned the CPSU and the Russian Communist Party.

Also:
17 Moments in Soviet History - The August Coup (SovietHistory.org)

What a fiasco! A couple of years too late probably.
When are they going to release the Yeltsin Commemorative Dart-board?

+

=
Soviet cogitations: 4491
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Resident Soviet
Post 19 Aug 2010, 18:40
Wiki, [with my edit] wrote:
The coup leaders were hard-line members of the Communist Party (CPSU) [all appointed by Gorbachev] who felt that Gorbachev's reform program had gone too far and that a new union treaty that he had negotiated dispersed too much of the central government's power to the republics. [The new Union treaty negotiations were made between Gorbachev and the republican leaders, including Yeltsin, and kept secret from everyone, including the Politburo until just a few days before they were scheduled to be signed, which is why the plotters acted so hastily. According to Oleg Shenin, who was one of the leaders of the plot, the successful signing of the treaty would have given each autonomous region in the entire country the same amount of power as a union republic, thus preparing not just the USSR, but all those countries with autonomous regions, for utter collapse.]

As a play on your post Shigalyov:

+

=

(in 1993)

Funny how the wicked hard line communists didn't have the balls to storm the White House and gave up the entire coup attempt because three protesters died, while a couple years later democrat Yeltsin had no hesitation to launch tank rounds at that same building and to kill a couple thousand people in the streets.
Last edited by soviet78 on 19 Aug 2010, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Soviet cogitations: 9816
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Apr 2008, 03:25
Embalmed
Post 19 Aug 2010, 20:23
I saw a documentary about Yeltsin that actually made Gorbachev look really good. He was almost portrayed as a true hardcore communist.
Once capitalists know we can release the Kraken, they'll back down and obey our demands for sure.
_Comrade Gulper
[+-]
Resident Artist
Post 21 Aug 2010, 00:19
August 20

1858 – Charles Darwin first publishes his theory of evolution through natural selection in The Journal of the Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London, alongside Alfred Russel Wallace's same theory.

1940 – In Mexico City exiled Russian revolutionary Leon Trotsky is fatally wounded with an ice axe by Ramon Mercader. He dies the next day.

1944 – WWII: the Battle of Romania begins with a major Soviet offensive.

1953 – The Soviet Union publicly acknowledges that it had tested a hydrogen bomb.

1991 – Estonia secedes from the Soviet Union.
Philosophized
Post 21 Aug 2010, 00:39

H.P. Lovecraft
August 20, 1890-March 15, 1937

IA! Yog-Sothoth! IA IA!!
Soviet cogitations: 2848
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Nov 2004, 20:31
Party Bureaucrat
Post 02 Sep 2010, 11:55
World War II ends (65 years ago) with the surrender of Japan.

[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 6570
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Sep 2005, 13:48
Embalmed
Post 07 Sep 2010, 16:33
September 7

1940 - the first day of the Blitz (bombing of Britain by the Nazis) by 1941, 43,000 civilians had been killed.

1953 – Nikita Khrushchev is elected first secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
Now what is this…
Soviet cogitations: 4779
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2010, 07:43
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 05 Oct 2010, 03:23
My, my, this thread really isn't seeing a whole lot of activity, is it?
Anyway, since it's still October 4 here in the United States...
October 4, 1957 - Sputnik is launched.
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.