Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

This Day In History:

Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 07 May 2010, 19:07
Quote:
By 1918, 90% of the fighting was already over. America can't be credited with anything that could even remotely called "saving France's ass" in either world war because the didn't do shit in Europe until the eleventh hour.

Well,America has to be credited for making Entente victory possible.
Actually,that war wouldn't even have started if American bankers haven't sniffed the opportunity for their profit.
USA "aid" in food and weapons amounted to 25 billion dollars.
Of course,financed by J.P.Morgan,Rothschild and similar scum.
Read "The century of war".
Soviet cogitations: 1201
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 May 2008, 14:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Forum Commissar
Post 07 May 2010, 20:32
True. But saying we bailed the Entente out of a sure lose situation is pushing it.

The Century of War? It sounds familiar. I'll have to look into it.

Forum Rules

Red_Son: Bob Avakian is the Glenn Beck of communism.
"Le prolétariat; c'est moi." - King Indigo XIV
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 1782
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2009, 20:08
Resident Artist
Post 08 May 2010, 11:02
May 8

1794 – Branded a traitor during the Reign of Terror by revolutionists, French chemist Antoine Lavoisier, who was also a tax collector with the Ferme Générale, is tried, convicted, and guillotined all on the same day in Paris.

1945 – World War II: V-E Day, combat ends in Europe. German forces agree in Rheims, France, to an unconditional surrender.

1963 – Soldiers of Catholic South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem open fire on Buddhists defying a ban on the flying of the Buddhist flag on Vesak, killing nine.

1972 – Vietnam War – U.S. President Richard M. Nixon announces his order to place mines in major North Vietnamese ports in order to stem the flow of weapons and other goods to that nation.

1984 – The Soviet Union announces that it will boycott the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, California.
Soviet cogitations: 3765
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Nov 2009, 07:13
Politburo
Post 08 May 2010, 17:09
Tails wrote:
1984 – The Soviet Union announces that it will boycott the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, California.

Those olympics were horseshit. Good call by the Kremlin
Soviet cogitations: 4764
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 20 Jul 2007, 06:59
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Forum Commissar
Post 09 May 2010, 22:01
The French did not win in their invasion of Mexico. They occupied Mexico City, but the liberal/nationalist armies never gave them respite.

In the end they had to pull out because of the unpopularity of the "emperor" (who in the end got executed) and because the North was winning the US Civil War (the French had been supplying the South and knew they were gonna get it).

"You say you have no enemies? How is this so? Have you never spoken the truth, never loved justice?" - Santiago Ramón y Cajal
Forum Rules
[+-]
Resident Artist
Post 10 May 2010, 22:08
proletarian wrote:
Those olympics were horseshit. Good call by the Kremlin

Yeah, the Olympics are a waste of money and nothing more than a politicised event rather than a true sports competition.

May 10

1796 – First Coalition: Napoleon I of France wins a decisive victory against Austrian forces at Lodi bridge over the Adda River in Italy. The Austrians lose some 2,000 men.

1924 – J. Edgar Hoover is appointed the Director of the United States' Federal Bureau of Investigation, and remains so until his death in 1972.

1969 – Vietnam War: The Battle of Dong Ap Bia begins with an assault on Hill 937. It will ultimately become known as Hamburger Hill.

1994 – Nelson Mandela is inaugurated as South Africa's first black president.

2005 – A hand grenade thrown by Vladimir Arutinian lands about 65 feet (20 metres) from U.S. President George W. Bush while he is giving a speech to a crowd in Tbilisi, Georgia, but it malfunctions and does not detonate.
Soviet cogitations: 1384
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Feb 2009, 03:41
Party Member
Post 11 May 2010, 19:26
Quote:
2005 – A hand grenade thrown by Vladimir Arutinian lands about 65 feet (20 metres) from U.S. President George W. Bush while he is giving a speech to a crowd in Tbilisi, Georgia, but it malfunctions and does not detonate.

why do all bombs and grenade function when its time to kill everyday normal soldiers and families but always malfunction when it comes to assassinating hitler and george w bush. grenades and bombs are classist thats the only answer.
Loz
[+-]
Philosophized
Post 11 May 2010, 19:27
Maybe that was intentionally done to give the illusion of "America being in danger"?
[+-]
Resident Artist
Post 12 May 2010, 21:13
Greenanarchism wrote:
why do all bombs and grenade function when its time to kill everyday normal soldiers and families but always malfunction when it comes to assassinating hitler and george w bush. grenades and bombs are classist thats the only answer.

Maybe they built grenades with anti-assassination technology for leaders or something? I don't know, really but it's probably due to luck.

May 12

1926 – UK General Strike 1926: In the United Kingdom, a nine-day general strike by trade unions ends.

1945 – Argentinian labour leader José Peter declares the Federación Obrera de la Industria de la Carne dissolved.

1949 – The Soviet Union lifts its blockade of Berlin.

1981 – Francis Hughes starves to death in the Maze Prison in a Republican campaign for political prisoner status to be granted to Provisional IRA prisoners.

2002 – Former US President Jimmy Carter arrives in Cuba for a five-day visit with Fidel Castro becoming the first President of the United States, in or out of office, to visit the island since Castro's 1959 revolution.
Soviet cogitations: 4779
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2010, 07:43
Politburo
Post 22 May 2010, 18:36
May 22

1930 - Birth of Harvey Milk who would go on to become the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in California.

1939 - Germany and Italy sign the Pact of Steel.

1947 – U.S. President Harry S. Truman signs an act into law that will later be called the Truman Doctrine. The act grants $400 million in military and economic aid to Turkey and Greece, each battling an internal Communist movement.
Eat shit, Truman.
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
[+-]
Resident Artist
Post 24 May 2010, 15:22
May 24

1915 – World War I: Italy declares war on Austria-Hungary.

1921 – The trial of Sacco and Vanzetti opens.

1967 – Egypt imposes a blockade and siege of the Red Sea coast of Israel.

1968 – FLQ separatists bomb the U.S. consulate in Quebec City.

2002 – Russia and the United States sign the Moscow Treaty.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 1278
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Feb 2009, 02:54
Party Member
Post 25 May 2010, 05:28
FLQ=LOL

Useless bunch of lunatic criminals. Maybe this is too nationalistic of me, but they were just a bunch of hippies anyway.
Party Member
Post 26 May 2010, 07:17
sorta lunatic because they believed they could spark revolution by direct action. but not so lunatic, they had widespread support. yeah they were a bunch of hippies
but that's not a reason to dislike them. beside whats wrong with bombing high finance and canadian symbol? the murder of laporte was a strategical mistake, but they thought they lived in a more violent society than this. and it was sorta depressing for them to give up after kidnapping him, the only option was to give him and flee to cuba, like the other group. they didn't want to give up.
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 26 May 2010, 17:31
May 26, 1952

The inter-German border is finally sealed.
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 1278
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Feb 2009, 02:54
Party Member
Post 26 May 2010, 21:21
Greenanarchism wrote:
sorta lunatic because they believed they could spark revolution by direct action. but not so lunatic, they had widespread support. yeah they were a bunch of hippies
but that's not a reason to dislike them. beside whats wrong with bombing high finance and canadian symbol? the murder of laporte was a strategical mistake, but they thought they lived in a more violent society than this. and it was sorta depressing for them to give up after kidnapping him, the only option was to give him and flee to cuba, like the other group. they didn't want to give up.

I'm a person who is cautiously in favor of Quebec separation, just because it means New Brunswick would probably have to join them, and for some reason, I love Quebec. However, their methods were retarded, like you said, the murder of Laporte was stupid and Trudeau was right to call in the military to stop them. I mean, maybe it is too "liberal" minded of me to say this, but I fail to see the positive implications in killing someone, especially when you had very little support to begin with (very few Quebecois supported the violence of the FLQ according to most things ive read on the subject on cbc and elsewhere)

And there is everything wrong with hippies... they're annoying, and generally dont have the balls to do anything during any sort of revolution. Also they walk around in Che shirts despite not really knowing for most of them, who he even is which is sort of annoying.
Party Member
Post 26 May 2010, 21:33
yes but first you say that murdering laporte was dumb then hippies have no balls to be violent during revolution. the problem is that this group had the choice to give in to the imperialist and flee to cuba or murder laporte. the other group decided to give in.

i know it's somewhat a skewed logic but the government should have some guilt for not giving in to the demands. i don't think they were crazy demands in my opinion, but i know how terrorism work. if they gave in there might have been more attempts to do so in the futur.

politically there was few representation of quebec independance in the media while there was more support than officially shown. the RIN eventually became the PQ which loss 2 referendums. but before that some people in the RIN thought that the subject of quebec seperation was blocked in the media and the government. there was a huge loss of support for the FLQ following the murder of laporte but i don't think there was that much opposition to the bombings. they were actually quite cautious not to hurt civilians. after 10 years of bombing there was about 10-12 deaths. i think there are few example in history of so many bombings and so few casualties. they also never attacked police or the military.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 6553
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Sep 2005, 13:48
Embalmed
Post 25 Jun 2010, 17:53
June 25

1948 - The Berlin airlift begins

1950 - The Korean War begins with the North invading the South

1975 - Mozambique achieves independence from Portugal. Within months the entire ethnic Portuguese population leave, leaving the Mozambican economy near collapse.

1991 - Croatia and Slovenia declare their independence from Yugoslavia.
Now what is this…
Soviet cogitations: 3765
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Nov 2009, 07:13
Politburo
Post 25 Jun 2010, 19:15
CROATIA!!!!11 Where is Loz.

Also, my grandfather fought in Korea
Loz
[+-]
Philosophized
Post 25 Jun 2010, 21:15
Quote:
Also, my grandfather fought in Korea

You should be proud of that!

Quote:
CROATIA!! Where is Loz.

It's lame to mock someone's patriotism.
Croatia struggled to survive since the 13th century,it's not like USA which always grew stronger and stronger.
Brezhnev's speech at the opening of 70's Victory day parade(don't know exactly which one,check Youtube):
...i ispolnim svoi patriotičeski i internacionalni dolg - ...to fulfill my patriotic and international duty
Soviet cogitations: 4479
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Resident Soviet
Post 26 Jun 2010, 02:19
That was a conception of Soviet patriotism however, not Russian (or any other) nationalism.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.