Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Economic relations between Nazi Germany and USSR (1939-1941)

Soviet cogitations: 2293
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Aug 2010, 14:21
Party Bureaucrat
Post 04 Dec 2012, 18:23
I would like any kind of informations you have about economic relations between Nazi Germany and the USSR between 1939 and 1941, especially the amount of oil supplies.

If you have some books at home, please help me.

"Fishing is part of agriculture" Gred
"Loz, you are like me" Yami
"I am one of the better read Marxists on this site" Gred
Soviet cogitations: 1011
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Feb 2004, 06:15
Party Member
Post 05 Dec 2012, 02:50
There was one book, The Generals of Stalin or somesuch that dealt a bit on the topic. Among other things. It was kind of interesting, told interesting stuff of the war effort and the organization of the defense of Moscow.

PD: I've googled it a bit. It might or might not be "Stalin and His Generals: Soviet Military Memoirs of World War II". I read it a long time ago, so I dont really recall anymore. If you see it at some public library take a peek, see if it's that one/is decent.
Back in white
Party Bureaucrat
Post 05 Dec 2012, 12:25
I don't think I can find much books in English there. I found this on Wikipedia:

"Roberts, Geoffrey, Stalin's Wars: From World War to Cold War, 1939–1953, Yale University Press, ISBN 0-300-11204-1, page 42, lists slightly different figures, with 2 million tons of petroleum products, 140,000 tons of manganese, 1.5 million tons of timber, 1.5 million tons of timber and 100,000 tons of cotton"

Geoffrey Roberts is said to be a very reliable historian, so It would be very good to have what he says exactly.

Party Bureaucrat
Post 09 Dec 2012, 15:08
I was lucky to find what Roberts says on Google books. As you can see, there is no much information:

Quote:
The pattern of trade was the same as in that earlier period the Germans provided the Russians with credits to buy machinery and manufactured goods; in return the Soviets exported raw materials to Germany. Between January 1940 and June 1941 the following raw materials were supplied by the Soviet Union to Germany:
1.5 milion tons of grain
100,000 tons of cotton
2 million tons of petroleum products
1.5 million tons of timber
140,000 tons of manganese
26.000 tons of chromium

What is a "petroleum product"?

This is what you can find on Wikipedia, based on Ericson's statistics:

"Without Soviet imports, German stocks would have run out in several key products by October 1941, within three and a half months.[190] Germany would have already run through their stocks of rubber and grain before the first day of the invasion were it not for Soviet imports:[190]"

As I said on wiki, he forgets that with the Soviet-German agreement, the USSR took control of 70% of Poland's oil production, that is to say 350 000 tons of oil a year. Therefore, by October 1941, German oil stocks would have been like +350 000 tons.

Soviet cogitations: 14444
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Sep 2006, 22:05
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 09 Dec 2012, 16:57
A petroleum product is everything made out of petroleum. Oil, gas, diesel, etc.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 09 Dec 2012, 18:30
Then it's a trick because among petroleum products you would have motor oil isn't it? And Germany needed a lot of motor oil. Before the war, most of this oil came from the USA. And of course you have synthetic rubber which is made of petroleum products, the Buna rubber. Because you need styrene to make Buna.

Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.