Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Stupidest argument against Communism

Soviet cogitations: 14
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Dec 2011, 10:43
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 14 Jan 2012, 08:46
What is the stupidest argument you have heard from people against Communism? For example

Quote:
You have to remember Communisim is built on the fact that the government controls everything, including the vegetables you grow in your garden that you sell in a local shop.
Soviet cogitations: 363
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Jan 2011, 08:20
Komsomol
Post 14 Jan 2012, 10:39
"Communism is godless, therefore it is inherently bad."
Soviet cogitations: 2051
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Jun 2011, 08:37
Party Bureaucrat
Post 14 Jan 2012, 15:00
Check chain email from grand parents or something

"everyone would get the same grades in school"
Soviet America is Free America!

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
Soviet cogitations: 111
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 31 Dec 2011, 06:02
Pioneer
Post 14 Jan 2012, 21:41
"Communism has killed over (random # multiplied by a million)!"
"Communism can't work cause of... Uh... Human nature!"
"Animal Farm!"
"Doctors are paid the same as construction workers!"
"Communism is dead!"
"North Korea!"
"You hate America!"
"You hate freedom!"
Soviet cogitations: 4405
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Resident Soviet
Post 14 Jan 2012, 22:45
runequester wrote:
"everyone would get the same grades in school"

This one has been floating around on here recently as a semi-serious analogy to communism.

Das_ALoveStory wrote:

This one annoys the hell out of me, given that it's probably the most commonly used argument, with those using it patronizing communists by saying that 'of course it's a beautiful idea but it just can't work because of human nature.' The response to this argument also takes the longest to formulate, and hence isn't as effective. You have to talk about the malleability of human nature, about how human beings are complex creatures with a variety of traits used differently under different circumstances, and may even have to get into a discussion of history. By that time the person who made the comment will probably be rolling his eyes and looking at you with a douchey face of self-assured skepticism, hence the whole this isn't even worth it.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Pioneer
Post 14 Jan 2012, 23:03
The school chain mail bogus is so ridiculously stupid that it actually helped inspire me to learn about Communism. My friend first told me about the chain mail and I legitimately couldn't stop laughing.
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Ideology: None
Forum Commissar
Post 14 Jan 2012, 23:52
FlairPhoenix wrote:
"Communism is godless, therefore it is inherently bad."
This is probably my favourite because even if it was true it wouldn't be an argument against it.

That whole "Obama is a Communist" logic has to get an honourable mention though.
Soviet cogitations: 3711
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Jul 2006, 04:49
Ideology: Juche
Old Bolshevik
Post 15 Jan 2012, 02:28
Don't forget "Communism = Naziism/Fascism!"
Pioneer
Post 15 Jan 2012, 07:13
"Communism only makes evil dystopian autocracies!"
Actually, just go anywhere on the internet where people are allowed to voice their misinformed, half-@ssed opinion on politics. As soon as anybody defends Communism the every inbred scum sings like a one-toothed choir "blah blah communism is the enemy of all democracy and 'Merica! God hates them dirty reds and them homo-sexuals!"
And then you have the hipsters who listen to bands that aren't popular anywhere, because their music sucks (but is apparently misunderstood) and then they tell you that they are artists and that "in communism you aren't allowed to be an individual blah blah blah" in Starbucks while they read blogs on their iphones and wonder why they have no job with their absolutely useless art degree.
But God-forbid the two actually research what communism is, that would take effort and basic mental capabilities.
Soviet cogitations: 224
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Sep 2011, 11:23
Pioneer
Post 15 Jan 2012, 14:02
The top three most annoying that come up in conversations are the 2 above mentioned:

Quote:

Hurrrrgh!!
For the reasons Soviet78 explained. Sarcasm is the best answer.. Since these kind of people are somehow thinking that we're born non-tabula rasa but with a given soul, I provoke towards creationist tendencies or views, so at least I can laugh a bit in return

2. The petty-bourgoise perception of equality, where you are supposed to all get the same, and eat soup with the same spoon.

and 3:

Explaining what's going on in a particular condition (ie, how crisis is hitting the productive forces in certain towns, or the country or worldwide) and what should be done, and they replying "Well, this is all theoretical, you;re talking about"

Yes, godamit, this is the explanation and it is "theoretical", am I supposed to explain it by fixing your car, in order to be "practical"?? "yuno.jpg"
Somehow people think that given situation and economy just "happened" and cannot be otherwise. Propably they don't know that economy applied to the world are first discussed "theoreticaly" in academies, offices, think-tanks for specific class interests
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhQKmixO8MA
Party Bureaucrat
Post 15 Jan 2012, 17:00
"human nature is evil and greedy so communism won't work, at least capitalism plays to our strengths"

If your dog poops on the carpet, do you buy him a much nicer carpet to poop on, and give him a bigger food bowl?

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
Soviet cogitations: 4
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Jan 2012, 20:48
Post 17 Jan 2012, 21:06
Jumping in a little later but:

"It's stupid because bin men and doctors get paid the same so it's not fair"
"It doesn't work"

To be fair, I don't see what entitles doctors to be held in such great regard while bin men are treated like the trash they collect. That isn't fair.
And whenever I ask these people to tell me how it doesn't work the general response is "Just doesn't". I honestly don't mind if they try and discuss with me why they think it doesn't work but this just seems like opinions they've heard and repeat without any prior knowledge.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 17 Jan 2012, 21:07
That obviously also disregards that in the USSR anyways, people weren't paid the same. The differentials weren't massively huge but they were still there.

Soviet cogitations: 4
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Jan 2012, 20:48
Post 17 Jan 2012, 21:31
Really? I honestly don't know the ins and outs of the Soviet Union, especially not how their pay system worked out. Though I would assume that they lessened the gap between pay. But yeah, these people don't look at the past or consider any of their arguments.
Soviet cogitations: 455
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Nov 2010, 01:24
Komsomol
Post 17 Jan 2012, 22:23
Somebody once actually argued that Marx didn't knew anything about sociology
but Jaque fresco did
We need to make revolution so our kids wont grow up in corporate prostitution
Sky was the limit. Then the communists came!
Pioneer
Post 18 Jan 2012, 02:49
Goldfather wrote:
Somebody once actually argued that Marx didn't knew anything about sociology
but Jaque fresco did

Good God

My friend was telling me today "communism is great in theory blah blah blah but it doesn't work in practice because its a utopia and that can't be achieved"
To which I replied, "Karl Marx's theories are scientific, not some utopian mumbo-jumbo."
Then he said, "Who's Karl Marx?"
CASE CLOSED
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 18 Jan 2012, 11:46
Communism is against human nature; at the same time, the present order is compatible with human nature.
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
Soviet cogitations: 363
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Jan 2011, 08:20
Komsomol
Post 18 Jan 2012, 21:33
When people blame communism for all the bad things happening. That really ticks me off.
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 18 Jan 2012, 21:50
...that happens?
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
Party Bureaucrat
Post 18 Jan 2012, 22:07
Mabool wrote:
...that happens?

Google "is america becoming communist" and read a bit of what comes up

Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.