Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

How to Start a Revolution

Soviet cogitations: 4764
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 20 Jul 2007, 06:59
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Forum Commissar
Post 20 Mar 2012, 06:49
"How to Start a Revolution" is a documentary based on the work of Gene Sharp, especifically his "198 methods of non-violent action"

Now we know who funds this guy and how he has been utilized, but before knee-jerk reactions, what do you make of the film?

Trailer

"You say you have no enemies? How is this so? Have you never spoken the truth, never loved justice?" - Santiago Ramón y Cajal
Forum Rules
Soviet cogitations: 4418
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Resident Soviet
Post 20 Mar 2012, 16:13
Almost makes me shake in anger, to be honest. Sharp has been a hot topic among Russian political scientists and contemporary historians for some time now, of course partly because of the recent election cycle. but also because his methods (which do sometimes include paramilitaries to tip the scales of popular anger) are used in some of these 'peaceful revolutions'. The 1989 Czechoslovak revolution and its use of the murder of fictitious student Martin Schmid, and the 1991 events in Riga were really the first experimental cases of a color revolution in action. In the latter case, it has even been admitted (and essentially gloated about) by Landsbergis' Minister of Defense Audrius Butkevicius that a 'small amount of blood' was necessary and justified to carry the revolutionary process forward. Also, Latvian lawyer and political activist Algirdas Paletskis, who has long investigated the suspicious circumstances behind the events of January 1991, has only recently been cleared of challenging the official Latvian historical record by a court. He has striven to prove, using interviews of participants and witnesses, along with evidence like ballistics, bullet angles and trajectories, that the people killed and wounded in the January events were not killed by Soviet troops on the ground, but by Latvian nationalist provocateurs on rooftops. Similar provocations occurred in Venezuela in 2002, where the oligarch run television networks made it appear as if Chavez supporters were gunning down innocent people when again, unknown agent provocateurs firing from rooftops were behind the deaths. It's also becoming apparent that the same process is occurring in Syria as we speak, given that about one in eight of the people killed have been police or military personnel, and that witnesses again are speaking of snipers on rooftops...

And in general another thing about Sharp that also disgusts me is that he's a former Trotskyist who has abandoned whatever progressive ideals he may have once had and chose to work for imperialism, for bourgeois democracy -or at least the facade of it, and for corporate interests. How people with the kind of knowledge and worldview that Marxists develop can switch sides and work for the devil is really almost beyond my ability to comprehend.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Soviet cogitations: 238
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 Jun 2011, 15:14
Pioneer
Post 20 Mar 2012, 18:21
soviet78 wrote:
And in general another thing about Sharp that also disgusts me is that he's a former Trotskyist who has abandoned whatever progressive ideals he may have once had and chose to work for imperialism, for bourgeois democracy -or at least the facade of it, and for corporate interests. How people with the kind of knowledge and worldview that Marxists develop can switch sides and work for the devil is really almost beyond my ability to comprehend.

He sounds like a Shactmanite, if this be the case. A number of Shactmanists later became what is known as neoconservatives. http://www.engageonline.org.uk/journal/index.php?journal_id=5&article_id=19 As the the documentary, which I believe I have seen, either on Current TV, Free Speech TV, or Link TV, I can't really rember exactly which. I believe that we should learn from our enemies, and employ there tactics against them. Strategies are not wrong or right, in and of themselves, but depending on how, and for what purpose, they're used. Also, it would probally worry the U.S. government to know that I own a copy of the U.S. Army's instruction manual, as well.
So I should be prepared for any situations that might develope in a potentional social revolution, whether it be violent, or non-violent. And I feel that non-violent resistance should be the preferable first resort.
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 20 Mar 2012, 18:46
This seems to be the same kind of bullshit as Kony 2012: Exploiting revolutionary sentiment for bourgeois goals. Let's hope it fails just as miserably.
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 4032
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Oct 2006, 23:10
Politburo
Post 26 Mar 2012, 08:39
Kony? Who is he?
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.