Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Define "Liberalism"

[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 1020
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 20 Jul 2011, 15:17
Party Member
Post 03 Mar 2012, 18:30
Based on the results of the last poll, I am just curious to hear how you guys would define "liberalism."
Soviet cogitations: 2051
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Jun 2011, 08:37
Party Bureaucrat
Post 03 Mar 2012, 21:35
When speaking to commies, it usually means the bourgeois free market parliamentary democratic system.
Soviet America is Free America!

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
Soviet cogitations: 1201
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 May 2008, 14:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Forum Commissar
Post 03 Mar 2012, 21:55
Liberalism, I think, can most completely be defined as a promotion of negative liberty over all others. The best thing to a liberal is freedom from restriction, and it views the people under a government as self-interested, unrelated individuals who just happen to contract together. Because of this, they tend to promote individual rights over the rights of the whole. Private property usually being the prime freedom to be protected, the natural economic ideology of a liberal is laissez-faire capitalism.

In the US, the word "liberalism" has been twisted to refer to anyone who promotes civil libertarianism and centre-left economic policies. But this is ultimately wrong-headed, since both of the major parties are pretty much just as liberal as the other, just in different dimensions (republicans being "classical" economic liberals, and democrats being social liberals).

Forum Rules

Red_Son: Bob Avakian is the Glenn Beck of communism.
"Le prol├ętariat; c'est moi." - King Indigo XIV
Soviet cogitations: 42
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Nov 2011, 06:00
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Pioneer
Post 03 Mar 2012, 23:59
For me anything within Society/Politics/Culture that is unorthodox, has changed, different, or is opposite of belief or opinion at the time.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 4032
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Oct 2006, 23:10
Politburo
Post 04 Mar 2012, 00:34
Trend. Lifestyle. Religion, or Tool. It has no real meaning anymore.
Soviet cogitations: 3765
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Nov 2009, 07:13
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 04 Mar 2012, 23:41
Neoprime666 wrote:
For me anything within Society/Politics/Culture that is unorthodox, has changed, different, or is opposite of belief or opinion at the time.

I disagree. The US is a liberal society. Liberalism is a distinct ideology that asserts hegemony over others to reinforce the status quo and social means of production. It places emphasis on "negative liberties" to create an illusion of moral superiority, which is then used to justify imperialism.

I think liberalism is the belief or opinion of the time.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.