Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Login ] [ Active ]

Need Detailed Info about Collectivization in USSR

Log-in to remove advertisement.
Post 11 Nov 2019, 05:44
Hello Comrades! Could you recommend me good books, articles or any kind of texts about the collectivization process in the USSR (1928-1936)? I have read many biographies about Stalin, but they do not cover the collectivization process in detail. I want something more... well, detailed! I have many doubts: How many peasant rebellions were there? The Kulaks were the only ones who killed their livestock, or this was done by all farmers in general? Did this produce the infamous famine of Ukraine? How did the Soviet Government managed to overcome the chaos of the whole process to eventually triumph and consolidate collective farming?
Note: By "good books" i mean the most objective books you know about this topic. That is, NOT Robert Conquest XD.
I already checked the library section in this forum, but there was no much info in this topic, which is why i'm now asking here.
Post 03 Jun 2020, 20:54
Sorry for so late a response comrade, but if you're still interested in the topic, I would recommend anything by R. W. Davies or Stephen Wheatcroft. They undoubtedly offer the fairest and most detailed accounts of these events in the English language, and seem to be pretty non-ideological themselves. Their work is neither sensationalist nor overtly anti-Soviet, which is why you won't find it in any big name bookstore. Instead, you'll probably need to go to a university library, or be prepared to shell out $50+ for any one of their academic books.

If you read Russian, or can find a version online to use google translate on, I've heard good things about "Битва за хлеб. От продразверстки до коллективизации" by Елена Прудникова. According to reviewers, it uses plenty of archival documents, and, importantly -offers an explanation on why Soviet authorities were forced to some objectively ruthless and unpopular measures to collectivize agriculture at that particular moment in history, and why previous attempts to solve the 'problem of bread', i.e. food security in Russia and the Soviet Union, weren't possible to solve either by Stolypin's reforms or the New Economic Policy.
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.
[ Top ]