Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Login ] [ Active ]

Video of Stalin's era denounces american racism

Log-in to remove advertisement.
JAM
Post 28 Mar 2012, 04:21
I've found out this short animated film produced in Soviet Union in 1933 (Director - I. Ivanov-Vano and L.):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ0v2QCWMzE

I would like to point out that the soviet constitution of 1936 was the first to forbid and punish the racial discrimination.

Here is a testimony of how racism was dealt in USSR:

Harry Haywood, a Black communist leader, recounts an encounter with racism in the Soviet Union. In Stalin’s Soviet Union, racism was treated very differently than in was in the United States, which still had legally enforced White supremacy in the form of Jim Crow laws:

“In the Soviet Union, remnants of national and racial prejudice from the old society were attacked by education and law. It was a crime to give or receive direct or indirect privileges, or to exercise discrimination because of race or nationality. Any manifestation of racial or national superiority was punishable by law and was regarded as a serious political offense, a social crime.

During my entire stay in the Soviet Union, I encountered only one incident of racial hostility. It was on a Moscow streetcar. Several of us Black students had boarded the car on our way to spend an evening with out friend MacCloud. It was after rush hour and the car was only about half filled with Russian passengers. As usual, we were subjects of friendly curiosity. At one stop, a drunken Russian staggered aboard. Seeing us, he muttered (but loud enough for the whole car to hear) something about ‘Black devils in our country.’

A group of outraged Russian passengers thereupon seized him and ordered the motorman to stop the car. It was a citizen’s arrest, the first I had ever witnessed. ‘How dare you, you scum, insult people who are guests in our country!’…

‘No, citizens,’ said a young man (who had done most of the talking), ‘drunk or not, we don’t allow this sort of thing in our country…’”
Post 30 Mar 2012, 09:00
Absolutely amazing. Too bad nowadays Russia aspires to be just like the West, racism and all!
JAM
Post 30 Mar 2012, 22:18
Man In Grey wrote:
Absolutely amazing. Too bad nowadays Russia aspires to be just like the West, racism and all!

Truth. I don't know if you ever saw the documentary about neo-nazis in Russia. The existence of these groups in Russia is quite ironic given the Russian history with the Nazis and would be unthinkable during the USSR days. They are extremely violent with the immigrants.

You can see the first part here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLUxuq-E9yA.

In 1936 USSR was way ahead of the world as far as discrimination is concerned, not only regarding the race but the gender too. Women in USSR were much more autonomous than any other part of the world.

This facts are usually kept away from the public attention and we all know why. I only discovered the USSR's video about discrimination 1 week ago...
Post 30 Mar 2012, 23:25
JAM wrote:

Truth. I don't know if you ever saw the documentary about neo-nazis in Russia. The existence of these groups in Russia is quite ironic given the Russian history with the Nazis and would be unthinkable during the USSR days. They are extremely violent with the immigrants.

You can see the first part here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLUxuq-E9yA.

In 1936 USSR was way ahead of the world as far as discrimination is concerned, not only regarding the race but the gender too. Women in USSR were much more autonomous than any other part of the world.

This facts are usually kept away from the public attention and we all know why. I only discovered the USSR's video about discrimination 1 week ago...

Yes I've seen bits and pieces of that documentary and a few others on YT. It's disgusting yet amazing that there would be such a huge skinhead movement in Russia. If you took the people who lived in the USSR and grew up with soviet ideals, especially ones that lived through the GPW I'm sure they'd be absolutely horrified at the fact their youths are brandishing swastikas and beating people up for having a darker shade of skin.

The west would NEVER ever teach the fact that the USSR was the first ever country/govt. to have written laws that specifically combatted racism.
Regarding the story you posted earlier of the black communist in the USSR, something like that would NEVER happen in the US. You might get a few people that would protest against that guy, or he might get himself a beating from someone brave enough, but for a whole cart of light skinned people to actively join in solidarity to condemn such reactionary, disgusting behavior, and perform a citizens arrest, that'd be impossible over here under grounds of "Free speech."

The same Free speech that allowed neo nazi's to have a rally in downtown Sacramento, Ca which was protected by the police.
JAM
Post 31 Mar 2012, 06:01
Man In Grey wrote:

Yes I've seen bits and pieces of that documentary and a few others on YT. It's disgusting yet amazing that there would be such a huge skinhead movement in Russia. If you took the people who lived in the USSR and grew up with soviet ideals, especially ones that lived through the GPW I'm sure they'd be absolutely horrified at the fact their youths are brandishing swastikas and beating people up for having a darker shade of skin.

Sure they'd be horrified, after all it's an insult to their history. What sense does it make the own Russians who buried Nazism reviving that ideology? Fortunately, we are talking about a minority of people but i know that they have some connections with some Duma's members. I also don't know how connected it is the emergence of these neo-nazi gangs with the chauvinistic political style of Putin.

Man In Grey wrote:
The west would NEVER ever teach the fact that the USSR was the first ever country/govt. to have written laws that specifically combatted racism.
Regarding the story you posted earlier of the black communist in the USSR, something like that would NEVER happen in the US. You might get a few people that would protest against that guy, or he might get himself a beating from someone brave enough, but for a whole cart of light skinned people to actively join in solidarity to condemn such reactionary, disgusting behavior, and perform a citizens arrest, that'd be impossible over here under grounds of "Free speech."

Specially during the thirties when segregation was still legal in some USA states. I've found a good work about african-americans in Stalin's USSR: http://history.unimelb.edu.au/assets/pd ... ican09.pdf

It's interesting to see that the racial attacks on blacks in USSR during 1930's were provoked by americans, canadians and britons:

"It was foreign whites, especially Americans, Canadians, and Britons,
who committed the most serious incidents of racism, leveling verbal insults and
physical attacks on their darker-skinned compatriots."
Post 30 Apr 2012, 15:00
The reason for this is because the Russian concept of empire was completely different to that of the US and Britain. It was land based, not sea based. Maybe the mentality of Russians is different as well.
Post 03 Jul 2013, 19:53
I lived in the Soviet Union from 1973 until it fell apart, and Russian is my native language. Let me tell you the truth about "acceptance" of blacks in the Soviet Union. If you read the propaganda of course all the discrimination was in the evil United States and the Soviets were the friends of blacks inviting African students to study at the best Soviet schools. In reality, blacks were somewhat of a curiosity but of a lower class. The evolution theory bolstered that idea - since humans descended from a monkey it was believed that since Africans lived near monkeys they must be closer relatives to them and thus a lower class people. There existed a number of well-known jokes frequently told and retold that reflected such opinion.

I had a good friend whose father was from Ghana and whose mother was Russian. Classmates did not hesitate to call him "monkey" and other offensive names in reference to his heritage behind his back. They would not dare do it to his face - his Ghanian heritage gave him a good amount of fast-twitch fibers, and they knew he would have won the fist fight.

Russians of all nations perhaps have one of the lowest level of tolerance of anything different from their own race. A slightest bit of accent, slightly different skin color of facial features is sufficient to elicit copious amounts of teasing from kids in school, and to be looked at as a second class citizen in the adult community.
Post 29 Jan 2014, 06:23
Harry Haywood, a Black communist leader, recounts an encounter with racism in the Soviet Union. In Stalin’s Soviet Union, racism was treated very differently than in was in the United States, which still had legally enforced White supremacy in the form of Jim Crow laws:
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.
[ Top ]