Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Login ] [ Active ]

Trotsky?

Log-in to remove advertisement.
Post 05 Jan 2005, 01:30
I know he wrote several books.So which book would u recommend for a beginner?Also any other book recommendations would be appreciated.Sorry if there is already a thread about this.
Post 05 Jan 2005, 01:33
http://history1900s.about.com/cs/trotskyswritings/

Hope this is of help, I can't really suggest anything to you since i'm actually going through most of that myself.
Post 05 Jan 2005, 01:50
Quote:
Hope this is of help

Yes it is.Just one more question.Is "history of the russian revolution" a book?I tried to click on the link but it does't work for me.Is it like a book with all of his three-volume history of the Russian Revolution?I think "my life" would be the best read for now, would't you say?I think i must be the dumbest person here
Post 05 Jan 2005, 02:11
Quote:
History of the Russian Revolution
The complete text of Trotsky's three-volume history of the Russian Revolution

Pretty straight forward, but if you can't get it there you can EASILY get it here:

http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/works/1930-hrr/

Quote:
I think i must be the dumbest person here

Haha don't be so hard on yourself.
Post 05 Jan 2005, 13:11
Thank you comrade
Post 14 Jan 2005, 02:45
I know Trotsky wrote a bio on Lenin. Not sure on the title. It was genius, though.
Post 14 Jan 2005, 10:28
Oh really?I'm wondering if the translation to english is good because i've heard before that some books were translated by capitalist.So you know how accurate those must be
Post 14 Jan 2005, 22:15
I know that Trotsky wrote a few books while he was exiled in Mexico City and there is a part in "To Finland Station" that gives you an insite into him.
Post 15 Jan 2005, 05:45
Did you know an artist invited him to stay at his house and trotsky "did" his wife lol. Another useless fact

I'm goona get a book from trostky soon so i'll check that out too.
Post 15 Jan 2005, 12:54
Post 19 May 2005, 23:22
frank_pivo_4 wrote:
Did you know an artist invited him to stay at his house and trotsky "did" his wife lol. Another useless fact

I'm goona get a book from trostky soon so i'll check that out too.

I presume you're referring to Trotsky's stay in Diego Rivera's house in Mexico just before his assassination. There are rumours (but no more than rumours) that he had an affair with Rivera's wife, Frida Kahlo, who was herself a great artist. Both Rivera and Frida Kahlo were dedicated Communists and personal heroes of mine, so I would be grateful if you stopped talking about them in that disrespectful manner.
Pat
Post 27 Jun 2005, 02:14
I find that Trotsky's works are fairly confusing and seem to be advanced, although I do pick his works randomly. I'm currently reading his REPORT OF THE SIBERIAN DELEGATION and having a little trouble understanding it, I can't skim through it like I do with most books, including the first time I read DAS KAPITAL.

Is there any book like "Trotsky for beginners"?
Post 08 Apr 2006, 20:53
Quote:

Trotsky: Just Another Right Winger
Post 08 Apr 2006, 20:55
Quote:
There are rumours (but no more than rumours) that he had an affair with Rivera's wife, Frida Kahlo

There are rumours (but no more than rumours) that Ramon Mercader was not in fact a digruntled Trotskyite but a Stalinist agent
Post 08 Apr 2006, 22:36
Quote:

Yes. Tariq Ali's Trotsky for Beginners. Tariq Ali is probably the most famous old Trot in Britain, the doyen of TV chat shows and newspaper columns. Don't let that put you off, though - his book is good, though of course biased for Trotsky and against Stalin. It even has some pretty funny cartoons in it.
Post 08 Apr 2006, 23:29
frank_pivo_4 still has his red card!
Post 27 Oct 2006, 23:50
Post 02 Nov 2006, 02:26
Quote:
I find that Trotsky's works are fairly confusing

Yes. He's a flip-flopper, i.e. an opportunist.
Post 02 Nov 2006, 14:28
I like the way Trotsky rights though. Reminds me of Engels.
Post 05 Nov 2006, 02:05
Quote:
I like the way Trotsky rights though. Reminds me of Engels.

He was a good writer and a great orator. Two qualities that made him such an effective opportunist.
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.
[ Top ]