Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Login ] [ Active ]

Prostitution in the East...

Log-in to remove advertisement.
Loz
Post 21 Aug 2010, 22:46
Do you know any sources about prostitution in Warsaw pact countries?
I know for sure that prostitutes existed in Yugoslavia,and heard stories about them in ČSSR.
I'm talking about pre-Perestroika period.
How widespread prostitution was? Was it talked about openly,or hushed up? What was the general view about prostitution?
Post 21 Aug 2010, 23:37
Hushed up and looked down upon, though I don't know for sure. The USSR was actually pretty conservative with its morals. Drugs, including alcohol, homosexuality, and other mainstream (or used to be) taboo topics were subject to moralist repression.
Post 22 Aug 2010, 02:05
Of course prostitution existed in big cities, and was probably most openly tolerated in places like hotels and restaurants where lots of foreigners tended to congregate (because they had dollars, and the authorities wanted to accommodate them in a comfortable, semi-legal way, rather than have them running around getting into trouble and embarrassing themselves or the Soviet state). As Conscript said, among the general population prostitution was not a widespread social issue, due to moralist repression, prior to the late 1980s.
Post 22 Aug 2010, 02:19
In a docu I watched on the Berlin Wall last year, it said that prostitutes in East Berlin were allowed to cross over to the western sector to earn more money.

I'm quite skeptical about that claim though.

Quote:
Drugs, including alcohol, homosexuality, and other mainstream (or used to be) taboo topics were subject to moralist repression.

I don't think anything beats Romania where books about reproduction etc were reportedly classified as 'state secrets'
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.
[ Top ]