Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Login ] [ Active ]

SOVIET CEMETERIES...

Log-in to remove advertisement.
Post 17 Aug 2006, 08:54
I don't know if this question has appeared here before and maybe some of you can think I am a little bit...morbid, but what I am going to ask is not so strange and is part of our lives, isn't it?. I would like to know what happened when someone died in the Soviet Union. I mean....Were there, for example, catholic cemeteries?. If so, Which was the percentage of people buried in those religious cemeteries or people buried in no religious cemeteries?. Did people choose where they wanted to be buried?. Thanks to all!.
Post 24 Aug 2006, 02:13
Well i cant speak for all the Rebublics when saying this but in Ukraine where my family is from, there where many family or 1 houslehold generations old cemmeteries in rural ukraine right on the property, in the city such as odessa there where more prominent cemmeteries and those that where not, close to the center of the city there was a cemmetery that was for more educated people and high ranking communists and writters and such, then there where more inner city type cemmeteries that where also not in bad condtion, to answer your question about religious cemmeteries there where some still left from the Imperial time and were maintained and occasionaly a person might be buried in those. Also many people were creamated in the U.S.S.R. hope this helps

Best Reagards

Comrade Gromyko
Post 24 Aug 2006, 02:44
Quote:
Were there, for example, catholic cemeteries?

well, not to split hairs, they would have been orthodox...loyal to the patriarch of contantinople rather than catholics who are loyal to rome...

That aside, I cannot comment on this since I was never there. I have a Russian orthodox friend that lived over in the USSR before the fall,

I will report back to this forum when I know better......
Post 24 Aug 2006, 05:45
I honestly think we should all be cooked then stuck together in a big fragging dust pit. Solidarity beyond the grave, eh?
Post 24 Aug 2006, 05:57
Quote:
I honestly think we should all be cooked then stuck together in a big fragging dust pit. Solidarity beyond the grave, eh?

that's twisted,man
Post 24 Aug 2006, 06:12
Quote:
that's twisted,man

Whats twisted is that we take up space we never use because we're dead, all in the sake of going to this place in the sky we cannot conferm exists.

Religon in itself is twisted, everyone should have an ironic burial, a smelter should be cast in metal, a pyrotechnician should be shot out of a cannon, a electrician should be turned into a hub for wires for home electricity or internet, etc. That way we can all laugh at the fact we're dead!

But in all seriousness, we should just be cooked when we die and have our ashes tossed into a pretty location so we can feed nearby plants that only wild animals will consume.
Post 24 Aug 2006, 13:33
Well, there really weren't many fancy ceremonies when someone died, unless he was a member of the Orthodox church. In most of the cases (such as my grandfather's) they were just buried in a cemetery with a tombstone without any religious symbolicism, but rather details of his life. My grandfather was a theatre director, so on his tombstone are engraved the comedy/tragedy masks. My other grandfather, who died this march, was a captain in the Red Army during the Great Patriotic War, so in his funeral a firing squad was present, firing shots in his honour. After the burial there was a banquet, and it was like an ordinary party, with a much darker tone, of course. The Russians also have a habit of rising a toast for the deceased after 40 days of his/her death. The glasses, however, should not touch.
Post 24 Aug 2006, 15:42
Well, there were crematoriums, columbariums. Where I lived in Russia for the summer in the Kirov region, the cemeteries were serious, not like the crap they have here in America. Most family lots had iron fencer around them, the gravestone besides your name and years living had your photo either engraved or printed on ceramic. The land that is over the coffin was cared for so that no thorns grew, and planted flowers. In contrast, the funeral is pretty plain. There are several Christmas-style flower compositions, except with black strips instead of red. You are(or your coffin) driven in a horse cart/truck/PAZ ritual bus. You are buried in a small coffin that only fits you, with no pillows/lining, like you are in America. Some people if they were religious were buried with an engraved cross on the tombstone, or if you cannot aford a tombstone, You can just have an iron cross with your name/photo. There is also no funeral homes, although there are funeral bureaus, there everything is prepared - the procession, flowers, coffin, etc. The procession starts from your house and goes to the cemetary. If there is a lot of mourners, the cart/truck/bus carrying you goes slowly, but if there isn't and it's in a city, everyone just goes on the bus/following cars, to the cemetery.

Also, on memorial days, you go to the grave site and eat honey/candies/pies, drink tea/kvas/beer/vodka, and invite others to remember the person that has died.
Rem
Post 30 Nov 2006, 22:27
Just look at how serious it was for high-ranking party officials to get a good grave. If you couldn´t get buried in the Kremlin wall the second best was the Novodevichy cemetery, where for example Khrushchev, Stalins second wife Alliluyeva and Litvinov are buried. It's still a popular place, and since you cannot longer get buried next to Lenin probably the most prestigious place in Russia nowadays to be buried, for example is Alexander Lebed buried there.
Post 02 Jan 2007, 09:56
Yes, when I was in Ukraine the family had their plot that they had to maintain and it had a fence around it (it was located in a park/cemetery around other such family plots).
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.
[ Top ]