Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Login ] [ Active ]

May Day celebrations

Log-in to remove advertisement.
Post 05 Mar 2005, 22:13
What sort of celebrations were held on may day in the USSR? What was the route and schedule for the Moscow parade? Any other information about the May Day festivities.

Also, What did they do in Russia for the new year?
Post 07 Mar 2005, 18:25
I've seen pics of tanks rolling through redsquare in 1937 May Day Parade. On a building their was a huge banner of Marx and Engels on one side and Koba
and Lenin on the other.
Post 09 Mar 2005, 22:48
Yes, i know about the parades, but what else happened? does anyone know?

BTW, who's Koba? I've never heard of him before.
Post 10 Mar 2005, 00:51
Dunno much about the parades, etc., but Koba was the name Stalin used before he adopted "Stalin."
Post 10 Mar 2005, 03:43
There were usually parade in all the large cities, and there were usually performances m\of various sorts. I have seen some videos of the North Korean May Day celebrations, and they make the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games opening ceremony look like a broken whistle and a paper party hat!
Post 10 Mar 2005, 04:01
sounds awesome!

Stalin was koba too? I though he was just stalin and vissarianovich djrugashvili (no wonder he changed his name)
Post 10 Mar 2005, 22:06
Yes, I always wondered where Koba came from, I have never read it in any of the history books, oh well, maybe they weren’t that interested in the names, more of the deeds.
Post 17 Mar 2005, 04:03
Hey, does anyone know where I can find video clips from the May day parades?
Post 17 Mar 2005, 07:43
You cana purchase a full version October Revolution Parade from 1987 (70th Anniversary) from here:

http://www.ihffilm.com/ihf/22798.html

Clips:

http://www.tvdata.ru/catalog.php?dir=1&lang=eng&page=1

You can watch the streaming clips for free, but the full version videos themselves cost $200 each
Post 18 Mar 2005, 00:18
WOW! awesome clips!
Post 21 Mar 2005, 04:34
Comrade Bendeguz wrote:
There were usually parade in all the large cities, and there were usually performances m\of various sorts. I have seen some videos of the North Korean May Day celebrations, and they make the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games opening ceremony look like a broken whistle and a paper party hat!

Dont you think thats kinda sad?Nkorea spends millions on parades but so many are starving.
Post 21 Mar 2005, 05:01
It is sad. It reminds me of a soviet quote, Gorbacheve I think: “we can put a man on the moon, but we cant make a proper toaster that works”, or something like that anyway.
Post 26 Mar 2005, 11:54
frank_pivo_4 wrote:
Comrade Bendeguz wrote:

Dont you think thats kinda sad?Nkorea spends millions on parades but so many are starving.

Get this:

The. Famine. Is. Over.
Post 01 Apr 2005, 02:49
Yes, but do they have a content life? Do they have more than the absolute bare necessities.
Post 01 Apr 2005, 02:56
Post 07 Apr 2005, 17:12
Comrade Sergei wrote:
sounds awesome!

Stalin was koba too? I though he was just stalin and vissarianovich djrugashvili (no wonder he changed his name)

Before Stalin got into revolutionary activities and communism he was called Soso, but that all ended in his second year at the Tiflis seminar school.
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.
[ Top ]