Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Login ] [ Active ]

When were biplanes deemed obsolete?

Log-in to remove advertisement.
Post 13 Jan 2011, 22:11
I've always been interested in the use of biplanes after the First World War. I know they were used in the Polish-Soviet War, but were they used in any other war? (The Turkish War of Independence, Spanish Civil War, Second Italo-Abyssinian War) By what year were biplanes obsolete?
Post 14 Jan 2011, 02:58
Biplanes were obsolete by the early 30s with the development of technology and realization of the advantages of the monoplane, but they were still used. The torpedo bombers that sank the bismarck were biplanes. The soviets also had biplanes in service in early barbarossa.
Post 14 Jan 2011, 13:28
Quote:
but were they used in any other war? (The Turkish War of Independence, Spanish Civil War, Second Italo-Abyssinian War)

Yes, the Italian sent and used some biplanes in Spanish Civil War ( fighter plane Fiat CR.32).

Still at the same front, the German sent Heinkel He-51 to support the Nationalist.

Meanwhile, Republicans utilized Hawker-Fury plane with Hispano-Suiza 12X engine.

Post 17 Jan 2011, 02:52
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate the pictures as well. Also I didn't know that the Soviets used biplanes that far into the 1930's. I knew the Soviet air force was way outdated compared to the Luftwaffe, but I didn't expect the Soviets contained something that was that obsolete at the time (Barbarossa).
Post 17 Jan 2011, 06:34
Quote:
Also I didn't know that the Soviets used biplanes that far into the 1930's.

If I'm not in mistake, they used Polykarpov Po-2 biplane for reconnaissance purpose
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.
[ Top ]